Who Determines What is Beautiful?

Raise your hand if you have ever struggled with self confidence.

Me, me, me!!!

It’s all around us…people who struggle with their appearance. 

Maybe it’s your weight.  Your hair.  Your smile.  Your skin.

All of us, at some point in our lives, are going to struggle with who and what we see in the mirror.

I know I have.

We will compare ourselves with others and will have unrealistic expectations. 

We will not smile as big when having our picture made because we don’t like what we see.

We choose to stay home because we can’t find clothes that we feel pretty in.

We compare ourselves to others.  Yes, I said that twice.

Guys!

Why do we spend so much time comparing ourselves to other people?

Why do we want to be like everyone else?

  Why are we not just good enough?

More importantly, why can we not see the beauty in ourselves that others see?

But most importantly, why can we not see the beauty that God sees?

The beauty that God created.

We are His workmanship.

We are His piece of art.

We are His DIY.

He made us in His image.

He makes no mistakes.

Did you know that God calls us the apple of His eye?

He calls us beautiful one.

2

(My cow is named Beauty)

Okay, I know God doesn’t need my help, but I do feel so often that God wants me to call out the beauty I see in others.

He wants me to tell you that you are beautiful.  He wants me to remind you that He calls you beautiful. 

He also wants me to remind you how worth it that you are!  Totally worth it.  And, totally worthy. 

He wants you to know that you are so loved! 

He wants you to smile bigger when you have your picture made.

He wants you to see the beautiful person that you are when you look in the mirror.

He doesn’t want you to look down on yourself, because He created you just the way He wanted you.

1

I had someone tell me recently that perfection is boring.  What I considered a very unattractive part of me, this person called “character”. 

Can I just tell you what that statement meant to me?  Strange, I know, but it meant freedom for me in an area of my life that I have struggled with for years. 

I took her words and let them soak into my very core.  That’s how much they meant to me.  That’s how freeing they were to me.

Now, I have to tell you that as I typed those last few sentences about perfectionism and character, I was totally reminded that I always say that about things in our home.  I pretty much only buy things for my home that are old, discarded, full of marks and scars, IMPERFECT, and YET…full of what I call CHARACTER!

Isn’t that the coolest thing?  I fill our home with imperfectly beautiful items full of character!

And, that, my friends, is what we are…

Imperfectly beautiful people full of character!

Perfectly created by God…

***Beauty the Cow from High Cotton Vintage Home Furnishings 

***French Canning Jar from Vivi et Margot

Share:

2 comments