Monday, March 30, 2015

The Fireplace Compromise

So, if you have followed my blog for any amount of time, then you know that my sweet husband and I have very different views on the color of our fireplace and our kitchen cabinets.  Until recently, both were orangey oak.

 

This is the thing, I would have loved to have painted it all white.  I love white kitchen cabinets and I love white fireplaces.  However, my husband likes wood..dark wood.  And, my husband rarely says no to my household change up requests.  On this request, he was adamant that they not be painted white, and there was no way I was going to go against his wishes because I respect that our home belongs to all of us.

 

The thing I didn’t realize (because I hadn’t asked the right questions) was that he didn’t mind staining them a darker color.  He didn’t really like the orangey oak either.  Bam! 

 

We decided to start with the fireplace just to make sure we liked the stain and because of the obvious ease of a fireplace over a kitchen full of cabinets.  The stain color was an easy one because we both like walnut and the walnut looked very nice with our leather sofa and love seat.  Also, we have a ginormous walnut entertainment center (another favorite piece of my husband’s)  right next to the fireplace.  And last but not least, the walnut stain would look wonderful in contrast with my white ironstone.

 

This is what my fireplace looks like now…

 

1

 

12

 

17

 

20

 

22

 

25

 

Let me remind you of the before.  (no words necessary) ugg…

 

22

 

and the now…(a collective hallulujah)

 

30

 

 

31

 

I am so excited and thankful to finally have the fireplace done.  No, it’s not white.  But, I truly love it.  I love the contrast of the white against the dark stain.  Everything pops so wonderfully.

 

  I also tried to lighten up my entertainment center with as light of colored old books that I could find.  I added the old white tool chest and the white bucket on top for some more lightness. 

 

This is the thing…there are just things that you have to make work.  Things in our home are not all that I want them to be.  My husband has preferences as do I.  The goal is to make everything we have “work together” as well as possible.  Hopefully, I am learning to stretch my “creative mind” further because I have to use a lot of what I have and can’t change everything out that I would like to.

 

Do I have a wish list in my head of what I would love to have different in my home?  Oh, yes I sure do.  Will most of those things ever get changed?  Some of them will and some of them won’t.  Those things that won’t get changed can at least be altered a little to fit the farmhouse style that I so truly love.

 

Funny thing about staining the fireplace was after we were done, my husband asked why we had waited so long to get rid of the orangey oak in the first place.  HA!

 

Next step…kitchen and utility room cabinets. 

 

I can’t wait.

Print

14 comments:

Jenny Kinser said...

Looks great!

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely beautiful!!! Would you mind sharing where you got the fireplace cover from? It is to die for!

cynthia lee designs said...

Love your fireplace!! It looks great with the darker stain and the white frames and white pitchers.
~Cindy

Tricia said...

It's so great that you found something that makes you both happy! All the woodwork in my house is birch/maple and also very orange looking…I would love a change :)

Jeanette@Creating A Life said...

I think the rich wood color adds a lovely element of warmth. It really does make all your pretty white things stand out all the more. Looks great!

Debbie said...

Amy it is BEAUTIFUL!!

Anne's Attic - Design said...

Amy I am in love with your fireplace and the way that you have decorated it. It's PERFECT! Jo

Marilyn Holeman said...

Hi Amy,

It looks beautiful. I'm so glad you were able to reach a compromise. My husband has definite opinions, too, so I'm so glad to see how this turned out. My kitchen would have been white years ago, too, if I had my "druthers," but it is still oak. :-)

Blessings back at you!

Becky Cunningham said...

It is amazing what a transformation staining the wood made!! I LOVE it!! You are so right...compromise is a true blessing to all :) I really like all the lighter books and how you styled the entertainment center. The mantle is fabulous, to say the least, with that ironstone that I adore.
You did a great job, sister!!
And I CAN'T wait to see the kitchen & laundry room one day.
LOVE YOU

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Amy, I've really grown to appreciate real wood for what it is. I now wish that when we built our home I had stained and varnished the wood vanities in our bathrooms instead of painting them. Who knew I would ever feel that way???!!! :-) So, I think it is awesome that you've been willing to work with the wood and now you can be so happy with it because honestly it is beautiful. - Dori -

Cindy Rasley said...

Hi there! Love your decor! The fireplace looks great and very farmy" I have a farmhouse in Idaho on my farm and mixing browns with the whites and creams is also what I do! My husband can get opinionated sometimes! Ha! How dare they! We know what looks good! But sometimes you have to roll with it! I think the fireplace looks fantastic! Great job!take care! Cindy

Patricia @ Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

I HAVE read your blog for a LONG time...and I've always admired your respectfully following your husbands wishes! WHAT A TESTIMONY...JUST IN THAT!
now... God is faithful. He has given you both something you can compromise with and both be happy.

Good for you.
I can't wait to see the kitchen RE-DO!

Robin Johnson said...

Great solution. I should try that on my yucky oaky dinning room table that my hubby won't let me touch. (the things you learn while reading blogs! LOL) Your mantel looks amazing!

Lindsey Mckenzie said...

Your fireplace looks very classy! I like how it looks very vintage; the prominent white color on the walls and some pieces of furniture perfectly matches with the orange-stained fireplace and bookshelves. Compromising on the look of your home is really not a bad thing to do, as it keeps the house very simple yet elegant. Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your home!

Lindsey Mckenzie @ Buchanan Fire and Outdoor