Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Little Things

Sometimes it’s the little things…

pink flowers 1

like pink roses picked from my mom’s flower garden sitting all pretty  in a white ironstone pitcher

or her red roses sitting on the center of our breakfast table…

red roses

Maybe it’s a little thing such as this once bright shiny gold chandi that a friend lovingly gave to me because she knew “I could do something with it”

chandi yes

A small picture that I brought home from my recent trip to Louisiana is just a little reminder of how much I love my red headed family that lives there…

picture

Last year’s lavender is displayed on our key rack as well as on an old scale that my mom recently bought me at an estate sale…

lavender

A vintage picnic basket sits ready and waiting for a sweet family picnic

picnic basket

Little things really can make me very happy.

Just got a phone call from a lady who has invited me to set up a table at a local Community Market on the courthouse square in Manchester, TN.  I will be able to sell some handmade items as well as some of my quality upcycled pieces.   Three hours every Saturday morning…I can’t wait!!

I am heavily involved in cleaning out and clearing out our home.  I getting ready for a huge yardsale and the upcoming Community Market.  A book by Tsh Oxenreider called Organized Simplicity is my best friend and favorite companion right now.  Tsh and this book are helping me to determine what I should keep and what I should get rid of. 

Is it beautiful?

Is it useful?

Those are the two main questions I am asking about everything right now.

If it’s not beautiful or useful, it’s leaving.

Isn’t that a great philosophy?  I think so and it helps me tremendously.

Blessings friends!!  Back to work…

Linking up over at Common Ground
Print

14 comments:

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

I am a firm believer in appreciating the little things :-) celebrating every moment, savour each happening. So I luv this post!! Luv all your 'little' things as well.
Presently I am awaiting my son to stop by to bid me good evening and for me to pray with him and hug and express our luv before he leaves for work. he's a Deputy Sheriff. That is a moment to savour!!! A little thing to celebrate.
Thanks for your post!
Hugs, Gee

Kathy said...

A great rule to live by esp. if you want to avoid clutter. I wish I could live by it but after decades of collecting it is just in my blood. Your photos are great. I'm your newest follower. Thanks for sharing the inspiration. Kathy

Sheila said...

Ah yes the simple things....they seem to make life's journey so much easier. Love that chandelier what a great friend!

Smiles,
Sheila

Junkchiccottage said...

Amy,
Congrats on the Saturday Market. I know you will love doing that. I love this post and you are so right sometimes it is the little things that really make us smile. Pretty and sweet post. Have a great evening.
Kris

born ambitious. born imaginative. said...

I love your eye and style!

And good luck at getting rid of things. I always have great intentions...

Melissa C said...

Oh that sounds like so much fun! I wish that I could be there :) I'd love every piece I'm sure!

Have fun!

Jeanette@Creating A Life said...

I agree, sometimes it's just acknowledging the little things that reminds us of how blessed we really are. Love all your pretty photos!

Jeanette

Pat Cantwell said...

Amy,
Gorgeous simplistic vignettes, dear friend!!!
Congratulations on your Community Market endeavor!!!
I've been purging and eliminating clutter over the past three years. This past year since I retired, not one area has be left without a major editing on the upper level. A few areas remain on the lower level, but I can tell you it is amazing all of the"stuff" I ridded our home of and the immense sense of peace that floods over us now!!!
Most useful items went to our local Thrift shop which flows back into the missions of our Church. A true win~win situation!!!
Enlightening post!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Becky Cunningham said...

Oh what a fun new adventure! I'm so excited that you get to have a spot at the Saturday Market! I'm sure you will sell some wonderful things :)And I know they will LOVE having you there!
And I love all of your little things around the house. I love seeing how you've fluffed up and made everything so summery fresh :)
Miss you so much!
Have a wonderful, safe weekend
Happy Anniversary too :)

Anne said...

Congratulations Amy! I bet you will do great selling! Your style and taste is amazing! Yes I too love the little things.Those are what makes me the happiest :-)
xx
Anne

Down to Earth Style said...

The little chandy on the ladder is a super cute idea!

Charlotte Wohler said...

I just love your blog! Besides all the lovely pictures and posts that I love seeing, I especially love the music -- Bless the Lord, O, my soul! Nothing better!! Thank you.

Inspiration Vintage Magazine said...

Absolutely beautiful Amy!!! You always have the most beautiful vignettes throughout your lovely home!
Wishing you a wonderful week.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Praying for your husband!!! The power of prayer is immense! KUDOS TO YOU...

LOVE you philosophy! Very right! If it does not grace you life inn some way... out it goes!