Thursday, May 9, 2013

Linens, Linens and More Linens

Vintage linens…

 

New linens…

 

linens 1

 

linens 2

 

I love stacks and stacks of them.  I know I have told you that before.

 

linens 4

 

I have stacks of beautiful fancy napkins and I have stacks of more casual everyday napkins.

 

linens 3

 

It’s definitely a weakness of mine….the collecting of linens, that is.

 

When  Linens Direct contacted me about doing a guest post for them, my interest was certainly peaked.  I did a little research and decided that I would be happy for them to share on my blog. 

 

This is what they wanted to share with all of you…

 

The world of interior design is diverse and poses a wide variety of exciting options. From a cool and modern look to the more bright and colourful, everyone has their preferences and ideals. One of the more popular looks, both in interior design and day to day life, is that of vintage. For a long time we’ve been seeing a resurgence in vintage clothing, vintage hairstyles and vintage accessories, so why not extend that into the home? It doesn’t necessarily mean you have to do a complete overhaul in order to recreate that classic aesthetic; all you really need to do is make a few changes here and there.

Subtlety is the key when it comes to vintage interior design. The ultimate aim is to make the place feel lived-in; it adds to the overall atmosphere and will make the place much more homely and nostalgic. Vintage, after all, is a far cry from today’s more sleek and modern designs; it’s definitely one for home birds and lovers of the kitschy and cosy. White washing your floorboards, if you have them, is a simple way to give the place a slightly aged look without it seeming stuffy or outdated. Another option is to repaint some of your furniture, be it your bedside table or your wardrobe, and add in a few new pieces to give the room some pop. Most vintage designs tend to focus on a mix of soft colours and employ a combination of elegant and distressed furniture, so have a scout around some second hand furniture shops and see what you can come up with; a lick of paint and they’ll be good to go.

image

 

www.interiordesignipedia.com

Cloths and materials can play a big part in creating a vintage home. Take the bed for example; by changing the bed alone you can create a relaxed and classic bedroom, all you have to do is layer your linens and mixing plain sheets and duvet covers with other materials. A patchwork quilt, a throw, or perhaps even an antique piece all go great with plain linen and will create a delightful contrast. Companies like Linens Direct offer a wide variety of different cloths and quilts for low prices so you don’t have to break the bank in order to mix and match. You can even extend this to the rest of your home; a throw over your sofa is a great way to inject it with new (or in this case, old) life, especially if that throw will stand out against the light or neutral colours of the room. Tricks like this will have a great impact on the space and, again, add to the overall atmosphere.

There are plenty of vintage designs to be found for inspiration, but it goes to show that you only need to put in a little effort in order to successfully replicate the nostalgia and kitschy elegance of the past and bring it into the present. In reality, anyone can do it if they want to.

 

Hope you enjoyed this post today by me and Linens Direct.

 

Let me add that I was not compensated in anyway for this post but was happy to let Linens Direct share with all of us today.

 

I have been making some changes in our guest room in anticipation of summer guests. 

 

Come back for my next post and check out what I have done.

Print

8 comments:

It's me said...

Love linnens !!...i can't wait what you will do with it......lovely weekend.....love Ria...xxx..!

Pat Cantwell said...

Amy,
Love, love, love your Linen displays, dear friends!!!
Linen Direct would benefit themselves more if they had you to do a display for them using their linens in your home...and to compensate you in the process!!! Just sayin'!!!
Of course, I'll be back to see your amazing Guest Room!!!
Have a marvelous day!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Debbie said...

Love me some linens, and the vintage ones are my favorites. I make a beeline at the local antique mall for a booth that has really great stuff at really great prices. I've often thought that if I ever had a booth or Etsy, it would be full of nothing but dishes and linens and linens and dishes.

And dishes and linens.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your linen collection is lovely, Amy. I also love collecting thrifted linens, in white mostly, and I am now inspired to gather some of the larger pieces into pretty piles. I am catching up on blog reading and wanted to say your daughters are lovely. That is a great photo of sisters in the last post.

Becky C said...

You have the most wonderful stacks of linens!! So many...maybe you should share with your "sister"? LOL
When I see your photos, I realize I need more linens :)
Can't wait to see what you've done to our, I mean, THE guest room :)
Love you lots

Kate said...

AMY
This again a wonderful post that inspires my heart. This reminds me of my own love for linens and how I need to add more to my collection. It is like looking at a magazine when I view your photos, they are truly wonderful. Have a blessed Mother's day my sweet friend

hugs
Kate
xoxo

Junkchiccottage said...

Amy,
I love all your linens. Wow you have some pretties there in your collection. Have a beautiful Mom's Day on Sunday.
Kris

must love junk said...

Amy, I have a weakness for linens, too! You've got a gorgeous collection :)
Susan