Friday, May 24, 2013

Blue Scattered Here and There

Until a few years ago, everything in our home was dark.  When I say dark, I mean burgundy, mustard yellow, navy blue…you get the picture in your head, I know. 

Then one day my youngest came to me and literally said, “mommy, everything in our house is so dark”.    At seven years old, my daughter noticed something that I didn’t.  She saw that our house needed to be lighter and brighter…not dark and gloomy.

blue bucket 1

I still remind her of that home changing comment every time she says, “mom, everything in our house is white now”.

blue column 2

Her comment really did get me moving on making some much needed changes in our home.  Room by room, I began undoing anything dark that I could undo.  Now, don’t get me wrong, I still have dark leather sofas and a dark entertainment center and some other key pieces that will remain dark, but overall, our home has a much lighter and brighter feel.  So much more calm and relaxing in my opinion.

seltzer bottles 2

One of the things that I totally love about using white as my foundational color is that I can add pops of different colors here and there and it looks wonderful.

My two main colors that I use along with white (wood and metal also) are light shades of blues and greens.  I love how both of these colors look against the white.

blue pillows 2

One of the sweetest comments my husband has made on a couple of different occasions is that our home feels like a relaxing bed and breakfast to him.  I totally love that comment from him.  That’s speaking my love language right there. 

blue pillow 2

bottle 1

Having white as my backdrop sure does make it easy to change things around if my daughter gives me anymore great suggestions.  Don’t you agree?

Partying over at Common Ground
Print

12 comments:

Anne said...

Yes Amy I totally agree!I too did that same thing a year ago and I love all the white.It is so much easier adding touches of color when you have lots of white :-)
xx
Anne

pballard said...

Lovely post. I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend... I love white also and have been adding some dark to it now!

elizabeth said...

I think we all had the dark, "tuscan" look for a while. I went along with it too, even though I was always a rustic, country cottage type decor girl at heart. I am so glad to be back to the real me in my decor!

Debra Oliver said...

same here, I always gravitate toward calming colors now, I still love color and pattern, just in smaller doses. Someday I want to see that wonderful stack of quilts!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I am in this same frame of mind...lightening up and de-cluttering!

JAPAN SAMURAI said...


It is a great design.
I love the setting of the old furniture.
Heart will be healed in music blog plays.
From Japan.
Ryoma Sakamoto.






Pat Cantwell said...

Amy,
I LOVE that you listen to your children!!!
Your home is lovely!!! I feel that there is so much "life" in your home.I adore the elements of past family members and the way your style harmoniously pulls fabric and texture together with a calm, soothing, tranquil color palette!!!
"Out of the mouths of babes"...
Fondly,
Pat

It's me said...

Owwww...i love it all Amy !!...great colors !!...xxx !!

Jeanette@Creating A Life said...

I've been going through the same thing for the past several years, gradually going lighter. I like to keep a few dark pieces, too. Your home is so beautiful, and I love your touches of pretty blues and greens! Just lovely.

Jeanette @ Creating a Life

lynn said...

sweet post--i love that blue tin--gorgeous color!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your whites and naturals are so pretty and with the different textures and blues it is so cozy. Love your style.

Melissa C said...

Lovely little touches :) I really love that little bench in your entry way!