Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Big Splurge

Are you thinking my splurge was on a new couch or some really awesome flea market find? 

Nope…

The big splurge for me was this past Easter weekend.

desserts 2

You see, I started Weight Watchers back in September and I have s l o w l y lost about seventeen pounds.  This is the second time I have done Weight Watchers and it really works great for me.  It becomes a lifestyle.  It’s all about making choices and thinking through what I am about to eat.  For me, it’s a “is it worth it to bite it and then write it kind of thing”.

Now, I have never really had a big weight issue, but when I turned 40 it just got harder and harder for me to keep it off.  I am also not good at exercising like I should.  (like not at all if I am to be completely honest) 

The pounds started creeping on and my clothes started getting tighter and tighter until…

cherry fluff 2

I knew I had to take control and do something about it.  That’s when I picked my Weight Watchers book back up and began counting my points again.

I don’t know about you, but it kills me that most men, my husband being one of those, can start dieting and lose like five or six pounds in a half a day.  For me, it’s more of 1/2 a pound – 2 pounds a week. 

Slow and steady…

That’s okay though because I remind myself that when I lose it slower like that, it generally stays off.  And, I appreciate what I lose in a major way.

fruit salad 1 - Copy

I still have a few more pounds to lose to be at a weight where I can play around a little.  Know what I mean?

I can tell you that I feel so much better now just having those first pounds off.  I also have gotten back into my clothes and moved down a little in size.

The other fun part is that I have had to go shopping for new spring and summer clothes because my last season clothes are too big.  Hooray!!

flowers 2


eggs 2

I assume you have figured out the big splurge.

desserts 3

Yes, my friends, I splurged.  Like big time splurged and it was totally fun and worth it!

We all have to splurge on occasion. 

We have to keep our lives exciting even if it’s with eating a smorgasbord of desserts.

I LOVE sweets!  Desserts are my thing!  I don’t have them very often anymore.  I try to be careful.

I wasn’t careful on Easter.

   I ate everything that I wanted to eat.  I didn’t write anything down.  I didn’t calculate any points and  I loved each and every tiny bite that I put in my mouth.

Oh the fun you can have  cheating and splurging.

Can I just say that with Weight Watchers I really never feel like I am depriving myself.  I am just making wiser choices.

Let me also say that this post is just something I wrote for fun and is not any sort of advertisement for WW.  It just happens to work well for me.

I am going to be sharing the recipe real soon for this…

cherry fluff 1

and this…

fruit salad 2

Be blessed my friends.

****

Would love to have you follow me by email and facebook.  Check out my sidebar if you are interested.  Thanks.

****

Partying over at Common Ground
Print

22 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Amy-Congratulations and good for you! That is a well-fought battle. I look forward to your recipes. I have a feeling they are not WW recipes! xo Diana

Tricia said...

Wow, great job, Amy! I bet those little splurges were sooo good! I need to lose at least ten pounds and I'm feeling a little stressed about since summer's coming. xo

Sheila said...

You go GIRL!

Smiles,
Sheila

Blondie's Journal said...

Hurray for you, Amy! I could never turn down those delicious desserts! I tried WW but I just couldn't keep those portions straight and I failed miserably, so I really applaud you on losing those 17 pounds!

XO,
Jane

Anne said...

Congratulations Amy! Oh yes I know too the older I got the harder it was to lose weight.But for me the only thing that worked was becoming a vegetarian.It really was not hard for me because I was never liked meat much.I lost weight and have kept it off.But like you I don't like to work out.But I know I need to start working out because I am starting to feel those aches and pains.I am sure with exercise I will feel better.Waiting for the weather to warm up again so I can get out for some walks.
xx
Anne

elizabeth said...

Good for you Amy! Yes, weight is much harder to take off than it used to be in my thirties!

It's me said...

It looks graet Amy !!...yammie.....lovely week darling....xxx!

ohiofarmgirl said...


Good for you! I started ww in January and am happy with the results! I have a few more lbs to go but am hoping I am done but the end of MaY. I love walking so that helps!
dianntha

Keeping It Cozy said...

Amy, that is so awesome! You know, I thought when I saw you the other day that you looked just beautiful and so healthy! So glad you had some fun treats over the weekend. Don't forget to send me those dates... ;-)

Keeping It Cozy said...

P.S. Of course I already follow you on Facebook, but I'm following you on Pinterest now too. :-) Have a great day!

chateau chic said...

Way to go, Amy!!! And you look absolutely GORGEOUS!!!
Keep doing what you're doing because it's obviously working well for you.
Mary Alice

Debbie said...

I'm so proud of you! You are so right when you say that doing it slowly is so much better. You can have those rare splurge days without feeling like it was a major catastrophe.

I really struggle these days with the eating. I used to be able to take it off pretty quickly, but I'm in a different place or something now.

The buffet table looked just plain gorgeous. No wonder you splurged!

Kolein said...

A TRUE DIY!!!! You are stunning Amy!!!!

Kudos to you Friend! My hubby is the same way - he thinks about losing 5 lbs and BAM! It's gone!

(Your dress is so wonderful! I love it!)

XO
~K

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

It drives me crazy too how men can drop weight so easily! Not fair!
Way to go sticking to your WW plan and then letting yourself truly enjoy a splurge day! Love your new photo! You look beautiful!
My problem is I keep making everyday a splurge day...doesn't work out so well. :/

Anonymous said...

I can not wait for the receipes!! I want to taste it now.

On Crooked Creek said...

Amy,
You go, girl!!!
I am so proud of your accomplishment!!!
I love the new photo and the updated profile!!! YOU look AMAZING, darling!!!
Keep focused on the prize ahead...a shopping spree for one...and here's to better health!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Elma said...

Oh that is so great!!! I need to join I have soooo much to lose:( After baby 7 and 8 I just never lost the weight and now getting older it is so hard.

Becky C said...

You look amazing, just gorgeous, my sister!! I'm so so proud of you losing 17 pounds! I know you have worked hard and it paid off for sure :)
The Easter splurge looks divine and I can't wait for the recipes too!
Sending all my hugs

must love junk said...

Good for you, losing that weight! You deserved a little splurge! :)
Susan

lynn said...

congrats to you, amy:) ww is a great program...i love sweets a little too much:) happy weekend!

The Tablescaper said...

Great job. Congratulations to YOU!

- The Tablescaper

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

The desserts look delicious, Amy. Good for you for tackling the extra pounds before they add up too much. I am trying hard lately and recording everything I eat makes me more accountable too.