Sunday, April 7, 2013

Marking My Herbs

Are you a DIYer?

I’m not very much of one…at all.

I wish I was.

I would love to be crafty.  Would love to be able to build.  Sewing would be incredible. 

I try. 

That counts, right?

When I had the opportunity recently to do Artful Blogging magazine, I received a nice gift certificate to use in their online store.  Most of what is in their store is arts and crafts kind of stuff so that’s what I ordered. 

faith 1

One of the coolest things I ordered was a set of metal stamps.  I love all of the metal stamped jewelry.  I also love the stamped flatware that people use as garden markers.

markers 1

Yeah, well I got my stamps but didn’t know I had to buy a big hunk of metal to go with them to stamp on.

I finally got everything I needed and my youngest and I set down to have a big crafting day. 

markers 3

Not!!!

Good grief!!

Have you ever stamped?

It’s hard.

It’s super loud.

And, I am not very good at it.

markers 4

I am not giving up though. 

Surely I can be a DIY person.  Surely I can stamp out more than three little markers.

I am tickled that I got at least three.  Better than none, right?

Hey, I may not be a crafty DIYer, but I can grow herbs.   I love cooking with them but I also love adding them to our water, tea and such in the summertime.  You can’t beat cucumber water with lemon and orange slices with a little sweet mint and lemon balm.    Yum…

herb plant

markers 5

Any suggestions for how to make stamping a little easier for Faith and I would be really appreciated.

Don’t forget to come back by on Tuesday for our 5th Girl Time.
Print

18 comments:

LLH Designs said...

I think you did a fantastic job! I've bought a few of these and have always wished I would just learn how to make them. Love them as garden markers. xo!

Tricia said...

I've always loved those stamped herb markers, but I've never tried making them. You know what else I think would be such a cute thing to stamp? Name tags for Christmas gifts! I'll bet copper would be so pretty :)

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I have been wanting to try making these for awhile, but now I'm not so sure. I don't like things that are noisy! I do think your spoon/garden markers turned out very cute! I love growing herbs too!

Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle said...

Those look great! Life to the full! Melissa

melissa said...

Oh my! I love those! Just beautiful :)

pballard said...

Great job. I would love to try making some of these. Saw them at a local shabby sale for $10.00ea and thought I could do that..Have a great week!

Katherine Wolak said...

Well that still looks like fun! Ive never tried it myself but it looks like so much new opportunity for play! :)

Hugs,

Angie @ Knick of Time said...

Together, we'd make a good pair, because I can craft, but I kill plants! :0)

Daniela @Frugal Aint Cheap said...

you have to start somewhere, right? I think those are lovely

Deanna said...

I've not ever stamped, but admire the looks of the finished product!
You did great,
d

Sheila said...

LOL...I too have a set tried it once and thought I did a poor job and never looked back. I will tel you yours looks great though...mine not so much. Have a great day!

Smiles,
Sheila

Susan in SC said...

I think you did a great job. I had heard that it was hard to stamp but I still would like to try it someday! Keep up the good work!

On Crooked Creek said...

Amy,
I don't care for loud.
I don't care for hard.
Sounds like a project for "Mr. Ed"! :)
Your markers turned out splendidly, dear friend!!!
Not knowingly, but silver flatware cast offs are softer than stainless steel and copper would be a softer choice too! Love the verdigris patena that comes from aging copper!!!
Amazing job...you and Faith ROCK!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Becky C said...

Well I think your herb markers turned out beautifully! You & Faith did a great job :) Too bad they were a little troublesome...maybe I won't order those.LOL
I'm glad you have had some sunshine! We've been out working in the garden too. Can't wait until you get here. Let's think of some DIY project to do together...K?
See you soon!

must love junk said...

I think they turned out great! I can't 'craft' either, so don't feel bad...that's why I have so many crafty friends! (So they can make my stuff for me :)
Susan

Dori at The Red Feedsack said...

Hello Amy! I have to tell you that I had almost the exact same experience as you with the metal stamps on spoons. Actually worse, because I only managed to do one and it looked terrible - yours look fantastic. I read a great tutorial on a blog about how to do it and they made it look soooo easy. I thought it would be this fun relaxing crafty thing to do and give as gifts. Not so much!!! I too would love to build. I've watched my husband so much in this last year and I have learned a lot of things but recently I tried to build something and was a complete failure at it. Its harder than it looks I think! :-) Hugs to you and the girls! (A couple weeks ago we went through Chick Fil A drive through and Beth was working it. We got our order and we all said, Bye Beth and from the car seat in the back Rosetta said, "bye Beth" and we laughed so hard because she jabbers all the time but doesn't really put words together! So it was a pretty big deal!) ~ Dori ~

elizabeth said...

I have about third grade level crafting skills so I'm not sure I'd be much help. I LOVE your new blog picture. You're a cutie pie!

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

Okay, how about you grow things and I'll DIY decorate the pots and stamp spoons for you?! I can't seem to get anything to grow. I know, I know. Water helps ...

:) Linda