Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Table of Plenty

My youngest daughter and I recently had the opportunity to work at the Huntsville Rescue Mission.  It was a wonderful experience for both of us and one will we not soon forget.

before table 1

Boy, there are so many lessons we can learn from being in an environment like that. 

Faith and I were able to see a world different from ours.

full table in process 2 - Copy

We saw people of all ages who were in need.  Some were new arrivals and in desperate need.  Some had been there awhile and were on the road to recovery and on there way out.

We carried on conversations with some of them.

full table in process 6

  We served them meals.

We carried their trays and threw away their trash.

We shook their hands and patted them on their backs.

full table 1 - Copy

We even had the chance to worship our Lord with some of them during chapel time.

cross 1

They were just like you and me.

They just, at some time or another, made a wrong turn…made a bad decision.

Haven’t we all done that ourselves?

eggs 1

On Easter Sunday, I looked at our dining room table and I thanked the Lord for all that He has blessed me with.

I saw our table filled with people I love.

eggs 3

It was filled with wonderful food.

It was thoughtfully decorated.

eggs 8 - Copy

Then I remembered the rescue mission dining hall…..

I thought about the tables filled with all of those precious souls.

flowers 2

They were so thankful for their trays filled with good hot food.

after table 1

They were thankful for a warm bed to sleep in.

after table 2

They didn’t have family with them but they did have people who cared.

full table 2 - Copy

I sat at my table and thanked God for Jesus, my family, my friends, my food.

full table 3 - Copy

They did the same at their table.


Linking up at Common Ground
Print

25 comments:

Deb said...

Lovely post and beautiful photographs. Very thought provoking. Deb

pballard said...

Amy, thanks for such a inspirational post. Just what I needed today. What a reminder at how blessed each of us our. I agree they are just like you and me. Dont we all have someone in our family that is in need. I know I do! I always try to be respectful to the person on the street corner as that could be me someday. So thankful for you! Have a wonderful day!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...

It is a rather humbling experience isn't it Amy? I have been doing it for 23 years now. I have raised 2 boys with me serving, helping , distributing Christmas and Thanksgiving food and toys to them.... All their lives, my boys have served, thus learning to be humble and grateful for what we have. I will continue this with the next generation God willing.
Thanks for serving. "
Hugs, Gee

Kate said...

Dear Amy
What a beautiful post filled with such love. I see so many needs even in our own community and it really makes you feel so thankful for everything. I love that you so boldly share the Truth and His glory with all of us. Have a blessed week my sweet friend!

Love
Kate
xo

Becky C said...

This is such a beautiful post. I love your gorgeous table...and the food looks delicious.
Yes, God's many blessings makes my heart full. I love this reminder of how very blessed we are.
You have such a giving heart...God blessed me with the sweetest sister-friend ever :)
Sending lots of hugs

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME/Doublewide Decor said...

Is that Huntsville Tennessee or Alabama?
My husband and I, and sometimes our kids used to work in the Detroit Rescue Mission. It is a blessing and something you never forget.

Simply Shelley said...

You hit the nail on the head...

Made a wrong turn…made a bad decision.
Haven't we all done that ourselves?
So very true!

Jesus said..when you do this to the least of these...you have done it unto me! Wonderful post....very wise words,a beautiful home and family......blessings

Pamela@ Our Pioneer Homestead said...

Your song on Your website has really moved me. Even though I'm a Christian, I don't fancy the pop music much, but that song is awesome, if you read this could you email me and let me know who it's by? That song is very moving, I don't know why~ my email is on my Our Pioneer Homestead blog~ thanks!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Such a beautifully written post Amy! When my little one gets a little older I am hoping we can start doing things like that together as a family. We take all the blessing we have for granted way too much.
Your Easter table looks wonderful! I especially love the eggs with crosses on them.

It's me said...

Wowwww that looks great !!...lovely weekend....love Ria...xxx..

Susan EvelynAndRose said...

You've brought tears to my eyes, Amy. You speak such truth - those are all precious souls surrounding both the mission table and your table. Beautiful souls, loved so dearly by our Lord.
Thank you for this wonderful post, a great reminder of the joy of Easter for us all.

Stacey said...

Oh so true and such a good reminder.

On Crooked Creek said...

Amy,
I'm sitting here thanking Jesus for you right this very minute, dear friend!
Love the message, the table decor and the precious fact that you experienced your visit with your daughter Faith! I adore all the meaningful things you teach your children along the journey we call...Life!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Lynn said...

What a grate table, and the food look delicious! Just joined your great blog, Hugs, Lynn

Down to Earth Style said...

You are the nicest person in the world!

Marilyn Holeman said...

Beautiful post--and wonderful pictures, too. Thanks for sharing.

Blessings.

lynn said...

such a lovely post, amy:) what a great example for your daughter! happy weekend!

Sylvia said...

I love this post, and your table, and these cross-decorated eggs, and your massage, and your giving heart...

White Lace and Promises said...

Absolutely, beautiful post. Oh, God help us to see others through the eyes of Jesus and with a humble heart, thank you for your grace. Grace, it is amazing! Thanks, Amy for always bringing a Word! You too are amazing.

Debra Oliver said...

Bless your heart, and what a great experience for you two to share together. Love your table, Amy, and I have to say that's one sassy photo of you on the sidebar...adorable!!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Beautiful post Amy!

Blessings,
Linda

Jenna LaFevor said...

Gorgeous table and dining room. An even more beautiful story! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

Lovely table! And how wonderful and experience you had - it makes you stop and count your blessings and be thankful doesn't it?

vijitha said...


I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.
Home

debra @ homespun said...

Lovely table and post !!! :)