Thursday, March 7, 2013

One Better

Hi friends.

books 1

I mentioned a book to you recently by Angie Smith called Mended.  What a great book it is.

One of the chapters I read was entitled One Better.  Boy, did it speak directly to me about going the extra mile, trying a little harder, taking a little more time.

I cannot even try to paraphrase all that she wrote but I can say what it meant to me.

I need to slow down and listen….really listen.  I need to make eye contact and not be easily distracted or seem to be bothered with the time it takes for a story to be told.

I need to not only say thank you but to also let someone know that what they did truly means so much to me.  I need to let people know how thankful I am for them and that they matter.

I need to remember the sweet words of advice an older lady in our church told me years ago.  She said that instead of complaining about bending over to pick up her husband’s underwear off of the floor, she always thanked the Lord for having her husband around to be able to pick up his underwear.  That sweet lady is now a widow and I am so sure that she wishes his clothes were still lying around.

Even more simple is that if I have a job that needs to be done, do it better than good, do it very good.

She says, “ it’s hard to do everything, but it isn’t hard to just do one better.  As you walk through the day, instead of feeling like you can’t do it all, just remember: you don’t have to do it all.  You will not believe the way these two little words will start to shape your hours and your heart.  So go ahead, do one better.”

Take a look at this…

coffee table 1

Pretty simple coffee table…

And then I went one better

books 1

That’s how I need to live my life…doing one better.

lr 2

I should have gone one better and cleaned out underneath my sofa.

That’s reality though, right?

Blessings to you all.

Linking up at Common Ground
Print

20 comments:

Sheila said...

Hi Amy,
What a wonderful post, not to mention a reminder to us all to take time and really listen and love more. I am so in love with your comfy cottage look you have going in the family room. I hope your week is going great....mine is looking brighter and brighter each day. Oh and remember I can make you any designs you wish on any of my products so keep that in mind if you are not seeing what you want in the shoppe.

xo,
Sheila

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Great advice, Amy! Everything we do doesn't have to be perfect, but one better when we can is a great idea. I am especially taking away the reminders to make eye contact and really listen. With all the technology around us it is so easy to get distracted and not pay attention to the important things in life.

Angela said...

Such a wonderful post. I really needed to hear this today. Thanks for sharing. I am going to look for the book. Thanks again and have a great day.
Angela

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Amy,
Thanks my friend...I really needed to hear that today:)

Blessings,
Linda

chateau chic said...

Great inspiration, Amy! I've been trying to practice the art of not getting on my husband about the little things. Life is too short!
Mary Alice

Kolein said...

This came at the right time. Thank you. So true. I testified at church last week about being authentic and purposeFULL - looking people in the eye, not rushing through each moment, being who we are with purpose. It must be a common theme right now Amy!

LOVE your table!

My boys just cleaned out underneath one of our love seats in our FR! Oh the toys and pieces and bits that were found!!!

Have a great evening!!

XO


BECKY said...

What an awesome truth you've shared, Amy. It's one I apply often, but I can always do "one better", can't I?
Such a sweet admonition. I also use "do all things as unto the Lord". Much of what I do isn't befitting of what He has done for me, but I hope I am always getting better.

Thank you for sharing from your heart...and under your sofa! We gotta keep it real, or what's the point?

I have my appointment tomorrow. I'll update you over the weekend!
Hugs and love,
Becky

Anne said...

Beautiful post Amy! Something I struggle with myself!
xx
Anne

Sherry @ Thrift My House said...

Great post Amy! I needed this reminder. I've been drowning in my to do list lately and I've noticed my lack of patience. I'll look for that book. Your coffee table vignette is very pretty. Happy Spring!

Holly Browning said...

Amy...I love your house! The dark leather with shabby chic and farmhouse. xoxoxo

Becky C said...

Girl! I love this book! I finished it, but keep going back to reread because I needed to hear her honesty over & over until it sinks in. After every single chapter I was in tears. God definitely used her to speak to my heart everyday.
One better is so hard for me...but a great challenge to accept.
Love your coffee table and den :)

Debbie said...

Yes and amen to this! I was told something similar about thanking God for "underwear". The woman who told me that years ago used socks as the reference. Now, my husband doesn't leave so much as a piece of link since he's Mr. Clean, but I remember it when I start to gripe because he washes out those baggies. Had to remind myself to find the humor of it recently, in fact.

The TRUTH is that he is trying to go one better and be a better steward of the money God has given us.

As to the better part, YES YES YES to that too! I used to have Col. 3:23 in a huge banner across my classroom wall and have students write it on their papers. Whatever we do, we should do it with our whole heart as if pleasing the Lord and not man.

Loved your "betters".
And sorry that once again this is so long.

On Crooked Creek said...

Amy,
Precious, priceless post, dear friend!!!I must affirm that you listen with your heart...our e~mail(s) confirm that fact, dear friend!
The change in the tray is exquisite!!!
Fondly,
Pat
P.S. I'm inviting you to join Thursday's Inspiration @ Little Red House with Mary!!! Her theme this week is Books!!! This post is definitely...one better!

Vintage Gal said...

What a wonderful post. Thank you for much for the inspiration ~ Blessings to you

Christine Vandormolen said...

Hi Amy, I just love the light colored pillows on the dark leather sofa...I am currently looking for cool pillows like that...Been on Etsy a lot.

Diana said...

Thanks so much for these thoughts, Amy. They made my day. A lot to think about. Have a great weekend!

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Amy!
loved this. You spoke it right to me. I fail in this time and time again; I often need this reminder.

You've inspired me to do "one better" ...listen first, and mean what i say...
Thanks!
blessings sister, Pat

Katherine Wolak said...

What a sweet story, I guess we all try to be a bit better each day! :)
I love your house and decorations, sooo beautiful!

Hugs,

Faded Charm said...

Inspiring post today, Amy! Thanks, I needed it.

And who doesn't have things under their couch...lol?

xoxo
Kathleen

Jenna LaFevor said...

GORGEOUS photos! Thanks for sharing!

Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com