Friday, September 7, 2012

Beautiful Old Handwork

Hey friends! 

 

Hope you have had a wonderful week and are all doing great.

 

Our family…we are good, we are busy, we are blessed.

 

I wanted to share something today that I recently found and fell in love with.

 

Let me start by saying that I love old handwork.  I love things that were lovingly made by somebody’s hands.

 

I love thinking about the lady or gentleman or young person that took their time to make something handmade.

 

I have a thing for items with someone’s name stitched onto it and usually will bring it home if it is reasonably priced. 

 

For example, a sweet little tea towel with the name Dorothy Howington made its way home with me from the flea market recently.  My family thinks I am crazy, but I loved it and felt like it should have a home. 

 

Ms. Dorothy’s  little towel hangs from an old medicine cabinet towel bar that is in my laundry room.

 

This week, I found these two beautiful pieces of handstitched artwork.

 

picture 1

 

picture 3

 

 

I am told that these pictures were from around 1920 and hung in the same house for a whole bunch of years.

 

Aren’t they beautiful?

 

Not only are they beautiful, but they speak Truth.  “The Lord IS my Shepherd”.

 

bed 2

 

I love them hanging on either side of our bed. 

 

***

 

I also want to take a minute and say welcome to several new friends of my blog.  Thanks so much for coming over from Debra’s beautiful blog,Common Ground.  She is such a sweet and thoughtful lady.

 

God bless you all!

Print

27 comments:

Susie said...

Amy, I love to see embroidery from the past. I always wanted to do that. I do not have the patience anymore. Smiles, Susie

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Lovely pieces, Amy.

Olive Cooper said...

Your Good Shepherd embroidery pieces are lovely and I like them on either side of the bed. I have a great love for old piece work. It is a lost art.

Keeping it Cozy said...

How special! They truly are beautiful... I would take something old and loved any day over something new bought at the store.

Abi's Blog said...

What beautiful handwork you found and I agree - so very true! We definitely NEED a good shepherd in the times we live!
Blessings from Texas,
Ava

Bonnie Hitchcock said...

I'm crazy about handmade pieces especially when they are expressions of ones faith. Love your sweet bedroom.

Love, love Redeemed by Big Daddy Weave!

Always come here to find inspiration!

LLH Designs said...

What meaningful finds, Amy! Did you have a hard time desciding where to hang them or did you just KNOW? I love having meaningful words around the house. So powerful. Happy weekend!

pballard said...

Amy I am with you.. I always say I should of been born back in the 20's or something.. I love linens,, and things of that sort.. Have a great weekend..We are having a big sale at my parents this weekend.. Off to bed..

Prior said...

just the perfect touch added to your bedroom, which I adore, by the way!
Lezlee

It's me said...

It is hard to comment on your blog !!..i try snd try again.....love the embroidery's !! they are so nice...love the psalm......it was my dad and also my mom psalm on their funeral.....and it is on the stone of my mom...almost ready to put on her grave.....God is good !!...love Ria...xxx...

Katherine Wolak said...

Those are really unique and old pieces of work!! Fantastic! :D

Hugs,

Shelley said...

Wonderful...I can see why you love them so much...and they look very nice hanging over your bed...the Good Shepherd watching over you as you sleep :)
Blessings

Alabaster Rose Lifestyle said...

These are so lovely Amy!! And they look perfect on the sides of your bed. I just love your room!
Hope you have a blessed weekend.
Sincerely,
Melinda

Marilyn Holeman said...

Oh, Amy! Those are wonderful! They ARE beautiful--and true.

Hope you are having a blessed weekend.

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

Great finds Amy! They look beautiful in your room! My Mom did a ton of gorgeous cross stitch. It is so special to me to have her handiwork.

Have a great weekend!
Pam

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

These two are very SPECIAL...love how you displayed them by your bed.

Blessings,
Linda

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

I am the same way. I look for doilies. I also look for embroidery or crewel work...haven't found any in a while.
Your framed pieces are wonderful and add a nice touch to the room. So vintage...and that's also the truth!

I like the subject-- that of Christ, the Good Shepherd. Pat

Ruby and Arthur said...

Amy, I love old handwork too and imagine the many hours someone put into them. Embroidery samplers are one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing your finds, Jean

On Crooked Creek said...

Amy,
Love your newest handwork pieces! Your frames are from the 1930's early art deco era! I have my MoMa's High School photo framed from 1935 with similar detail in the frame! A perfect fit on either side of your bed!!! Have a blessed Sunday, dear friend!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Joy said...

I love this! What a gorgeous bedroom and the stitcheries are perfect for it.

Becky C said...

Oh Amy I love these beautiful old embroidery pieces! They have such a farmhouse appeal :) Love them with your wall color. You are always finding the coolest things.
I can't wait to go shopping with you soon! Love & miss you all!!!

Holly said...

Amy - those are really "vintage" looking. They look cute in your bedroom. I always love your bedroom decor.

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Very lovely, and I love old things with history too. Your headboard is fantastic!!

Linda Evans said...

those are just beautiful!!!! and they look awesome in your home!

~Kristin~ said...

So lovely....
XO

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Amy, these are so wonderful. So glad you found these, just perfect for your bedside!

Anne said...

Amy,
What a beautiful piece! Love that date above your bed! So sweet!
xx
Anne