Monday, July 23, 2012

The Empty Guest Room

Our sweet friends left to go back to Louisiana today.  Our families met a little over a year ago, yet it seems like we have been together forever.  We actually feel like they are our family.  Sisters…brothers…nieces…nephews. 

 

We had a blast!

 

We went canoeing and kayaking.  We went shopping.  We  watched movies that made us laugh until we almost cried.  We ate and ate more.  We made homemade ice cream.  We watched our girls make up dances.  We dreamed.  We planned. 

 

It was wonderful having them here.

 

Their family of five filled our rooms, our home, and our hearts this week.

 

We hated to see them go, but we will see them again soon.  We make plans at each visit for our next visit.

 

The guest bedroom where they slept is all cleaned out.  Their luggage is gone.  I wish it was filled with all there stuff again.

 

This is where they slept…

 

bed

 

Very simple and understated, but I hope comfortable.

 

This was their roommate during their visit…

 

lola 3

 

This pretty lady is my newest friend,  Lola.  (found at TJ Maxx)

 

lola 2

 

Isn’t she lovely standing in front of that gorgeous chippy pink door?

 

door 1

 

Yes, I fell in love pretty much instantly and knew this pink could be used in our guest room.

 

I stashed a neat little lone gray shutter in the corner here for a little added interest.  I also filled an empty spot on the wall with a coffee filter wreath that I made.  (easy)

 

lamp 1

 

I found some tan and white ticking at Goodwill recently and made a very simple pillow cover for the bed. 

 

Fresh flowers were a must to have the room ready for our friends…

 

dresser 1

 

Take a close look at the beautiful bowl that is holding the flowers…

 

dresser 5

 

Look at the beautiful scrolled edging and all the details along the rim..

 

dresser 3

 

Are you wondering why I am making such a big deal about this bowl?

 

Let me tell you why…

 

I mentioned earlier that we took our friends out on the river kayaking.  While we were in the water, I happened to look down and saw something that I thought looked like a white enamel bowl.  I brought it up out of the dirty water, washed it off a bit and discovered that I had found a beautiful ironstone wash bowl.  You heard me right…this bowl is marked Ironstone on the bottom, is heavy, and is beautiful. 

 

Can you believe I found an ironstone bowl on the bottom of the river that we were floating?  What a pleasant surprise!

 

Becky said only I would go picking in the river, but I know she would have too if she had of been in the spot I was in.  Smile

 

Wasn’t that a great find!

 

dresser 4

 

Are you wondering like me why an ironstone bowl was in the water?  So strange…

 

Let me just end this by saying that I am so thankful to God for our friends from Louisiana.  I am also so thankful for my sweet friends that have been my friends for many many years.    And, I am thankful for each of you who stop by and visit me so often.

 

I love spending time with all of you!

 

God bless you all!

Print

28 comments:

savvycityfarmer said...

hey, we have Lola here, too
I met her last week
LOL

the bowl story is the BEST ever!
I'm sure your guests were delighted with that room!

must love junk said...

I cannot believe that you seriously found ironstone in the river! That is hilarious! (and a great story!) How wonderful that you got to spend time with such great friends :)
Susan

LLH Designs said...

An ironstone bowl at the bottom of the river?!?! With the way our God likes to tuck away beauty (and with the eyes you have to find it), I shouldn't be surprised! So glad you enjoyed your friends! Can't wait to see you again myself! xoxo!

Full Circle Creations said...

I love your guest room. It's so sweet. I can't believe you found the bowl in the river. Amazing! It sounds like you had a great time with your friends.

Holly

pballard said...

Love the room and the dress form.. Lola pretty name. Mine is Diana as she came from a lady named Diana who just happened to be a Playboy Bunny several years ago of course. Have a great day!

NanaDiana said...

I am glad you had so much fun with your friends, Ames! Isn't it wonderful to have friends that are like family?

LOVE your guest room and especially that ironstone bowl. How surprising was that!?! Have a great night- Blessings-xo Diana

A Thrifted Market said...

Friend time is so special..what a blessing to have the whole family! Cannot believe you found an ironstone bowl in the river!! Such a great story!! Have a beautiful blessed week my friend.

Olive Cooper said...

My sweet Dad drove in his El Camino down to the Savannah River every day and found many treasures in the river and on the banks. He would love this bowl and your story.

Becky C said...

Well it was a beautiful, wonderful space...so cozy and comfy! Your whole house was like a page out of a magazine...most of all, full of happiness. Our family had the most fun with all of you. The food and shopping was excellent and the day at the river was one that we'll never forget! Its still hard to believe you found that gorgeous bowl in the river!! I knew when I saw it you'd find a perfect spot for it in the guestroom. Thanks so much for welcoming us like family...the memories will last a lifetime.
Sending lots of hugs & already miss you

blhitchcock901 said...

What a sweet room! Love everything about it. Pink is my favorite but have never seen a door in pink! Lucky you! Send one my way if you find another! Just can't get it out of a can! Love, love, love it!

Little Vintage Cottage said...

I love your guest room... I am definitely going to have to check out my TJ Maxx to see if they have any Lolas!!

I cannot believe you found that bowl in the river... and that it is still in one piece is amazing!

Tania

Korrie Bastian said...

The room is beautiful, and the bowl is a treasure! Wow! It will always remind you of your wonderful visitors now.

On Crooked Creek said...

Amy,
So glad you had a wonderful time with your company! Your bowl story goes to show that there are treasures among us if we only have eyes to see! By placing that bowl in your guest room, each time you enter the room your precious memories of that day will come flooding back with warm rememberances! Precious! You, dear friend, always brighten my day. Your friendship is a treasure!
fondly,
Pat

BECKY said...

How wonderful to find such a lovely piece in the river, girl. Makes me wonder if it is something that was lost in a flood. Doubt it was just cast away. But God knew it would delight you, and there you go!!

So glad you had such a great time again with Becky and her family!! Never thought blogging would bless you with new family members, huh? God is soooo good to those who love Him!

Have a wonderful week, sweetie.
Hugs,
Becky

Barb said...

Your guest bedroom is so serene and calming . . . and finding that bowl in a river? incredible!

Our French Inspired Home said...

You just might want to go down that river again and see what you find next!

chateau chic said...

Your gorgeous find in the water tops everything!! And what a great story to recount. I'll be happy to pack my bags and come fill up your wonderful warm and inviting guest room! :-))
Mary Alice

~Kristin~ said...

Amy~ That's amazing!!
Happy almost end of July.
XO

Keeping it Cozy said...

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time together, Amy! I was just thinking recently about your beautiful guest room and wondering when you would share it. :-) My favorite is the chippy door... just gorgeous... I still have regretted a few times not buying one of the old doors at your sale. And I cannot believe you found that bowl in the river! It goes beautifully in the guest room... and that may be your best find ever! Hope to see you soon.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Beautiful room and what a wonderful surprise at the bottom of the river.

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Amy! That all sounds like such fun.
Kayaking and picking at the same time...
That is just a funny sentence to me...

Can you believe I found an ironstone bowl on the bottom of the river that we were floating?

Just not something you hear or read everyday. LOL...
a story to be told time and again!
Pat

Marilyn Holeman said...

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father
. . . James 1:17.

What lovely gifts you were given--both in your delightful friends, and your beautiful new bowl. Thanks for sharing!

lynn said...

oh, my, what a wild place to find such a great bowl! its so sweet that you miss your friends already, amy:) but, now, you have lola to keep you company!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Love your guest bedroom and I'm sure your friends loved it too! Beautiful ironstone bowl and finding it in the river yet...just amazing! Lola is beautiful next to that fantastic door!

From The Homesteading Cottage said...

Recently found your blog and became a new follower (: Can't wait to come back for more posts...Hope you have a lovely week!!

Michele xoxo
The Homesteading Cottage

Debbie said...

I just decided that this is my favorite room in your entire home. I reallllly love it. I started to say that I couldn't believe you could find that bowl by fishing in the river, but then I thought about God and the way he loves to delight us and decided that I could indeed believe it.

What a wonderful story. I think I'll go canoeing.

Handbags*N*Pigtails said...

Thats the best story yet! "So theres the bowl I found in the river..." I love it when things like that happen.
And that room looks very inviting indeed.(I must admit Im jealous of your TJMAxx find. Id love one for my studio)

Traci said...

Hi Amy...The guest room is just lovely! It looks like the kinda room to curl up in with a good book. The bowl is a sweet addition to the room and has fond memories attached to it. i'll have to tell you about the old milk bottles my boys found for me when they were fishing in the creek behind our neighborhood. They rest on my windowsill in the kitchen. You're always a blessing:)