Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Vintage Dough Bowl

Hey friends!

I have to show you another beautiful piece of history that I brought home from Texas. 

On one of our many treasure hunts, I found this heavy,  huge, obviously loved and well used,  German dough bowl.    I know I say it often, but I totally love this piece and the history that it holds.  Can’t you just imagine a wife and mom using this bowl to knead her dough for the homemade bread she is preparing for dinner?

dough bowl 1


dough bowl 2


Okay, I really don’t know a better way to say this, but I have never seen cracks look so beautiful.  Forgive me for that one, but really didn’t know how to say it.


dough bowl 3


dough bowl 4


I think she is just gorgeous filled with old vintage linens.  


dough bowl 6


You can see how big she is as she sits atop my coffee table. 

My photos do not do this piece justice.  I would love for you to be able to see it like I do. 

There are many things in my home that I could easily part with and could be replaced.  Not this one…this beauty is a keeper.

Hope you have had a blessed day and that the rest of your week is wonderful.


linking up over at the wonderful FADED CHARM and Momma Hen's Frugal Life
Print

20 comments:

Holly said...

So many ways to use that...love how old it is.

Holly said...

So beautiful and old....many uses.

Debbie said...

I love it! My mother laments all the time that she doesn't know what happened to her mom's dough bowl. I agree with you about the history behind it.

Desire Empire said...

It's gorgeous cracks and all.
Carolyn

Anne said...

Amy,
That is a gorgeous bowl.I don't blame you for keeping it.I would keep it too!Those are hard to find.Looks so pretty with your lace too.
Anne

Revi said...

Lovely! I have a similar one - a bit too large to be comfortable on a tabletop. Yours looks great with your linens in it.
-Revi

Mary said...

she is a beauty!
i love my dough bowls, too.
you CRACK me up! :)
sorry, i couldn't resist...the cracks and aging on these primitive pieces make them so wonderful and unique.
xo :)

Heaven's Walk said...

That is one beautiful piece of history, Amy! Can you just picture some farmwife's hands lifting it to carry it on her hip to the table...? Or setting in the center of the dining table full of warm, sweet smelling homemade bread...? I don't blame you for loving it so. I would too. :)

xoxo laurie

Pamela@ Our Pioneer Homestead said...

That dough bowl is simply THE BEST one I have ever ever seen!! WOW WOW WOW :) have fun with it!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Stunning. Filled with the delicate vintage linens - love it!

Shanon at Vintage Sparkle Chic said...

I love this piece! What a find. Oh to know the history of it, to be able to see how it was used, what family got to eat the homemade bread made in it.

~Shanon

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Amy!
it's beautiful.
I totally understand what you mean about the cracks...it's hard to put into words.

You know I'm only about 45mins from Canton, right?

Pat

Becky C said...

You are so blessed to have found such a treasure!! That is an incredible German dough bowl, with great cracks LOL
It looks fabulous sitting on your coffee table! And the vintage linens add a beautiful soft contrast.
Your photos look lovely, too :)
Lot of hugs...

It's me said...

That bowl is like a dream !! amazing...love from me...xxx...

Beth said...

What an amazing find! It looks perfect sitting on your table with all the pretty vintage linens too! Lucky girl!

Diane said...

I don't blame you one bit! Cracks and all, I'd have brought it home too! It's wonderful!!

XO Diane

Keeping it Cozy said...

It is absolutely beautiful and certainly a keeper!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That's a beauty and a nice size.

Anne Marie said...

I love it! great find....and it looks great now with the linens...I can see you doing a lot with that bowl

you know what is so funny...I have one like that (well, similar) and I haven't ever used it to rise dough

I bet it works like a charm!
xo

Lori @ Katies Rose Cottage Designs said...

So very beautiful Amy!!