Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Old Books and Burlap

Hello to you all. 

How are you?  (I really do care…not just asking to fill space)

I know that we all love texture, right?

When making the three wreaths that I have made over the last months, I knew they would each one add the “just right” texture where I needed it.

See what I mean…

door wreath 1


door wreath 2

I love the soft textiles against this hard grainy wood.  This wreath also happened to be the garland that graced our fireplace during Christmas.    I made this out of lots of cut up pieces of burlap, an old lace tablecloth, an old white sheet and just whatever other scrap fabric I could find.  (it took a lot)


This next wreath hangs in my guest bathroom in the center of a great old frame that I picked up this summer at the fleamarket.


bathroom wreath 3

Again, I love the softness against the hard wood frame.

Over my fireplace, hangs the first wreath that I ever made.  This is my favorite because I absolutely love the fullness of the wreath and the different shades of the old book pages.  I purposefully used different books to try to get a variation of color.

mantel wreath 3


mantel wreath 2


Hard mantel…soft wreath….good combo.

I so prefer using wreaths like this that I have made over something bought. 

For someone who is really not very crafty at all, these were easy.  You know me…I like easy.

Hope you are all having a great week.  Blessings to each one of you and thanks for coming around and spending your valuable time with me.


Partying over at:  Momma Hen's Coop
Print

20 comments:

Jan@southernjunkin' said...

Too cute!! The wreaths show the love you have for your home!
Happy Day!!

cityfarmer said...

irresistable in every way ...

chateau chic said...

Love the wreaths, especially the ones out of burlap!
Mary Alice

Karla Medina said...

They are all beautiful. the book pages one is my favorite. :)

BECKY said...

LOVE all of your wreaths! I always make my own, too! Haven't made any fabric ones, though! You sure are doing a lovely job of styling your home, Amy. I know your family loves it!!

I am on the hunt for some dried hydrangeas the color of the ones in your previous post. I passed on some a couple of years ago, and haven't found any since then.

Hugs to you! Hope you're having a wonderful week!!
Becky

Mary Lou said...

I'd like to know how you put them together. glue? Love them.

Al said...

Love your earthy touch with these wreaths! The colors are so warm and welcoming too. Happy New Year to you.

Blondie's Journal said...

I LOVE the wreath, Amy! I am not very crafty and I would be thrilled if I came up with something like these. Can't pick a favorite, they are all stunning!

XO,
Jane

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Love them all! I'm a fan of neutrals and these are all so pretty. I agree that the different colours of the pages really add to the look. I made a rag garland a la The Nester a few years ago that is now in my studio. I am currently working on a wreath version and both are done with whites, creams and laces.
Thanks for inquiring about how we are. I am just fine and enjoying the milder weather we are having right now (although we are expecting some mixed weather tomorrow night.) Hope this finds you well too, Amy.

Holly said...

I'm a huge wreath fan and that burlap & fabric one rocks!!! (they all do)

It's me said...

Beautiful wreath's darling....love ...xxx..

Becky C said...

Love these handmade wreaths, Amy. That book page one is my favorite, too. It's so full with gorgeous faded colors. But the burlap ones, well they are close to my heart :) And one day I may have to try to do this myself...
Love the places you put the wreaths, too. Great contrasts :)
Love you bunches

outjunking said...

I really like them all but the white wreath is something I haven't seen done. Maybe I just don't get around a lot.
Have a great weekend,
Lisa

Debbie said...

I'm really fond of hand made wreaths too. I like all of yours. My very favorite is the one made of the books pages. Of course, I love anything made with book pages.

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Love those wreaths, I am seeing them everywhere (by everywhere, I mean lots of awesome places, so they must be THE THING.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Amy,
All three of them are charming and you have displayed so well. Hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend.

Blessings,
Linda

Shannon said...

So cute, Mrs. Amy! I especially love the last one, made with the book pages - beautiful!
Hugs,
Shannon

burlap+blue said...

I adore both of these!! Your photos and styling are amazing, too. Have a fabulous evening! xoxo

Burlap Luxe said...

Love all that you create and inspire over here its so me :)

Love ephemera art and anything tarnished with life.

Blessings +

~Dore

blhitchcock901 said...

What do you tie the scraps on? Are they tied to a regular wreath, coat hanger, styrofoam? Would love to make one!