Friday, September 2, 2011

White Metal Cabinets

Hey friends!

I told you a couple of days ago that I bought a couple of old lockers at the flea market recently, but they are not actually lockers. (I don’t think)  They are two individual metal cabinets with shelves and they are great to organize my utility room.

I like to stockpile food when I find it on sale so I always have extra stuff to store.  I use to put it on a wire shelving unit in my utility room, but then it was just out there for all to see when they walked through that room.  When I found these cabinets, I knew they would be a perfect solution.

cabinets 4

I use the old dresser to hold tablecloths, cloth napkins, extra silverware and such,  in.  Very nice to have even though it takes up a lot of room.

baskets 1

I also keep two of my old locker baskets on top.   One basket holds my homemade laundry detergent and homemade fabric softener.  The other basket holds car keys, sunscreen,  and chalk for my chalkboard. 

cabinets 5

cabinets 3

cabinets 2

Great flea market find to make my laundry room ( life)  a little less cluttered and a little more organized.


Added later:  I have had several people request the recipe that I use for my fabric softener so I want to go ahead and put it here.  (thinking that I will do an additional post sometime on all of my homemade cleaners that I use)

Simple Fabric Softener Recipe
1 cup vinegar
2 cups hair conditioner (use a scent you like, use organic, whatever)
6 cups of water
(I also add a few drops of my favorite essential oils-usually lavender)

Mis all this together and use it like any other fabric softener.

Heading over to Debra’s at Common Ground, Potpourri Friday, and Just a Girl Blog
Print

18 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

What a fabulous find. I love how you are using them and they look wonderful. Great baskets too. Hugs, Marty

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your lockers look great and I'm sure they provide tons of storage. Sometimes having things behind doors is so much nicer, especially vintage doors. :)

Ido said...

What a great way to organize, love the cabinet and that laundry bag too!
Wishing you a great weekend!
XXX Ido

flags said...

Your laundry room is really cute! I was wondering if you would share your "recipe" for the laundry detergent and fabric softener. If you already did on an earlier post, I missed it. Thanks! Sharon

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Your utility room looks fantastic. Thanks so much for visiting me, so I could find you. I love your style, and your blog. I'm a new follower. BTW, I love your music too :)

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

That is an awfully cute laundry room! Your pieces are great. So much practical storage, but really great looking too! The best of both worlds.

Pine Tree Home said...

Reminds me of an old metal cabinet my grandmother had in yellow. So fun.

NanaDiana said...

Darling laundry room. I didn't put any big cabinets in mine and now I'm sorry I didn't! Love your "lockers" and your dresser-perfect storage solutions! xo Diana

Blondie's Journal said...

These are perfect and look to be in good shape, too! I like all of your baskets, especially the galvanized ones!

I have read how to make laundry soap, but not fabric softener. Can you give me the ingredients when you have time? Thanks!

XO,
Jane

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

I love these! They are a perfect solution for you.

Heaven's Walk said...

Love your new cabinets, Amy! They look great there. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be organized and have a place for everything? Hope you have a blessed holiday weekend! :)

xoxo laurie

Honey at 2805 said...

What unique finds you have to organize your laundry room! Great solutions to staying organized in a room that too easily gets disorganized.

Thank you for linking to Potpourri Friday and helping to make it a success! I appreciate you and hope you will link up again next week!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

The cabinets look great in your utility room, Amy! I love how you've displayed your cleaners in old jars and locker baskets, too!

Blessings,
Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Regina from The Queenly Abode said...

Hi Amy, I love the new cabinets, your laundry room looks amazing!
Could you share your recipe for the fabric softener?
have a blessed weekend,
Regina

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Amy -- how FABULOUS!! I love your organized space. Would love to find some of those locker baskets!! Homemade laundry products ROCK!!

Have a great weekend!

Blessings!
Gail

A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Amy...just catching up with you this morning ~ loving all I see too!

Debbie said...

I enjoyed the whole post, but I'm fairly bursting at the fabric softener recipe! I didn't have one. I'll be making my own this month and saving a bundle. THANK YOU!!!

Ellen said...

What a great idea. You are so organized. And very thrifty to boot.
Hugs,
Ellen