Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Little Purple For Fall

Hey my friends!

I told you that I was going simple this year for fall, and I am sticking to it.

I have added a few white pumpkins but pretty much everything else I am using is just bits of fall color here and there. 

Can I just tell you that I am loving the simplicity?  Simple décor now means simple clean up when it’s time to change up again.

It is so easy to add great pops of color when most of your background is neutral.

For my sofa table, I made two changes for fall.

carpenter tote 4

carpenter box 3

carpenter tote 2

I added these beautiful vintage purple satin scrolls that were awarded to my grandfather when he showed Jersey Cattle.  This one on top was actually from 1949 and was from a cattle show at a fair in Memphis.  The award was for best Get of Sire.  Raise your hand if you have ever heard of that.  I just learned because I figure if it’s in my home and my papa won it, I need to know what it is.

carpenter tote 5

I also traded out a summery white flower for the beautiful lavender I grew this year.  I truly didn’t have much that actually flowered, but what I did have, I am proudly displaying.

carpenter box 1

I think the green, purple and natural wood are just gorgeous together and have just the right amount of fall flare that I was going for.

carpenter tote 7

I have my mantel all fixed up and a few other spots in the house that I want to show you soon.  I do hope you will come back for another visit.

Thank you to all who come and spend time with me in our home.

I don’t take it lightly when you leave a sweet word about something I have done and especially when you ask about my mom.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Just another quick note…

Let me tell you what I have been doing this week.  The girls and I picked over ninety pounds, yes I said ninety, of apples last week.    We LOVE apple anything, especially apple butter.  We are making apple butter, apple sauce, apple chips, apple bread, apple fruit roll-ups, apple cake, apple muffins, baked apples…anything apple you can think of.

I tend to do things sometimes in extremes, but I really didn’t want the apple season to end and me not have enough apples to be able to  put up what we wanted to last us for quite awhile. 

So, that’s what I have been up to.  What about you?  Would love to hear what’s going on in your life if you want to take a minute and share. 

Blessings to you, my friends.

Print

19 comments:

A Thrifted Market said...

Love your blog! The purple touches look great!!

NanaDiana said...

Hi Ames! Oh - I can so remember coming home from school-getting off the bus on a chilly Fall day and there would be apples simmering on the stove and a pie in the oven...or just out of the oven. We always ate dinner before we milked and then had dessert afterwards. My father loved apple butter too...but I never got so I liked it much...my hubby loves it too.

I'm sure all these "firsts" (Fall-apple time, etc) withour your Mom are hard for you. Just know that she is really just a thought away.

Love your simple touches for Fall. Too late for me- I dragged all my stuff out for the kids to oooh and aaahhh over!

Have a great week. I am working 3 twelve hour days for the rest of the week. xo Diana

outjunking said...

The green and purple play off of each other nicely. That chippy green tool box is wonderful piece.
Lisa

Robin said...

WHOA! Thats alot of apples! Sure hope you'll share some of your recipes with us!

I love that your keeping things simple this season. Looks to me that your off to a great start. I love the pops of purple and green. It goes so well in your home.

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I adore anything apple! I have never picked that many pounds...but I bet you are glad you did with the apple butter and all! Looks very pretty in your home also!

Mary said...

ahhhh....your house is so serene and peaceful looking. i love it! :)
p.s. i envy your apples and ambition!
blessings,
Mary

pballard said...

Love your blog it is always so inspiring. It has been on my sidebar for sometime. I have been decorating for fall. Love the color changing.
http://momentslikethese-pballard.blogspot.com/

Red Gate Farm said...

I love your grandfather's purple satin "scrolls"... they look fantastic next to all that green. And what a wonderful keepsake to have.

We're just starting pears and nectarines around here.... i do have some apples coming my way this weekend but haven't decided what I'll do with them yet.

~Chris

Alabaster Rose Designs said...

Yum Amy, Can you put me down for 2 jars of apple butter. :) I love apple butter in the fall.
I love the Fall touches your adding to your home, the purple scroll is gorgeous!! What a wonderful keepsake from your Dad. I'm keeping my decorations simple this year too. I really haven't been up to decorating for the Fall until the last couple of days.
Hope you have a beautiful night and thank you for taking time to always leave me such lovely comments on my blog, it is much appreciated!
Sincerely,
Melinda

Mary @ Neat and Tidy said...

I am still working on canning tomatoes, and apples are next on my list. After putting up applesauce, I want to try cinnamon apple rings. I love being able to see all these jars in my pantry, and what a blessing in the winter!

Stephanie said...

I got so tickled when I was reading about the apples - it reminded me of Forrest Gump and the shrimp! Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Sheryl and Denny said...

Hi Amy,
Love the suttle touches in your home. Wish i can get my hands on some delicious apples. Not a common find here in the south. I picked up a bag full of some beautiful green apples at walmart and displayed them in a vintage bowl on my counter as part of my autumn decor. But......they dont last long,the kids and myself eat them up to fast. LOL... enjoy your autumn

Debbie said...

I can't wait to find out if the farm sister knows what "best get of sire" is. I'll ask at dinner.

I have been really inspired (a great deal by you, btw) to replace areas of bolder color with more muted, neutral shades. It's going to be a long process, but I like what I've done already.

Your purple touch for fall is so different and lovely. My fall stuff is more inside the box.

Becky C said...

Hey my sweet friend :) I sure am loving your lavender color with green for fall, it's beautiful! Very special scrolls, coming from your Papa! Your whole table looks gorgeous.
We are counting down the days until we get to sit at your big harvest table and eat some apple butter with your lovely family :) Can't wait!!

MommaHen said...

I'm loving the tool totes lately! You vignette is super cute. Hope to see you at my link party (going on now!) http://mommahenscoop.blogspot.com/2011/09/white-pumpkins-and-ww-link-party.html

Tricia said...

Wow, Amy, that's a lot of apples. My all time favorite apple is finally in season, the Honeycrisp. Have you tried those? I ate three yesterday. They're delicious. By the way, I love that Natalie Grant song you have playing here on your blog. She came to our church and sang a few years ago...I still can't believe that :)

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

I love that green tote box. And I am praying your mom is doing well. I have what feel like 50 things to paint, 14 chairs to recover and still a much of MIL files to go through, so it's a busy time for me. Oh and my family expects groceries to be restocked and dinner on the table, imagine that.

Ido said...

Love the purple touches! We've been picking apples from our neighbor's tree (I guess it's ok if the branches are in your back yard don't you think) I've been cooking them to put on top of cream and butter scones, everybody loves those apples. Wishing you a great day and hoping that your mom is doing better.
XXX Ido

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Amy~
Your home always looks lovely. I too like the way the green and purple play with each other.
Never, ever heard of the award your Papa received...
As for the apples, we used to get apples by the crate ordered for us thru a local Mennonite Bakery-- they'd ship them down from Pennsylvania-- that was when my kids were little. We haven't done that in years-- but man, oh man! The applesauce we made was delicious as were the pies and cobblers!
Enjoy--
Praying for your Mom, too-- Pat