Sunday, July 3, 2011

Outdoor Birthday Surprise (from a friend)

Hello my dear friends.
Boy, it’s been a busy week. 
God brought us home safely from a wonderful vacation where we rested, relaxed and continually put our faith in Him.
I also celebrated my 43rd birthday!  Woo Hoo!  I am thankful to be alive!  What about you?
Now to what I want to share with you. 
I asked one of my best friends not to get me a birthday gift this year, but to do a complete redo of my outdoors.  That included my deck, patio, driveway, etc.  I gave her complete freedom to do whatever her heart desired and, oh my goodness, did she do a fantastic job!!
I was beyond thrilled last night when we arrived home to see what she had come up with.
Take a look with me.  I’ll just show photos and try hard not to talk along the way.  (you know how much I like to talk though)
Come on, go for a walk with me…
wheelbarrow 2

wheelbarrow 1

rake

chalkboard 2

shed 2

shed

deck 1

deck 2

glider

deck 3

pew

pew 2

bench 1

deck 4

pots 1

deck 5

barrel

bucket

deck 7

deck 8

deck 9

table 1

table 2

table  3

patio 1

patio 2

patio 4

cafe 1

cafe 2

crate 2

door

door 2

Whew!  It’s hot out there, isn’t it?
Thanks for walking around with me.
My friend worked for hours getting this all set up for me.  How awesome is that?  I know it was terribly hot and she had other things she could have been doing, but she spent her time doing something to make me happy.
Thanks, Veronica, you did an amazing job!
She told me it was  easy to do because I had so much stuff, or did she say junk, to work with.  Smile
I do have lots of stuff, but it truly was mostly all bought second hand.
Now for her birthday she wants me to come and fluff the inside of her house.  Isn’t it funny how you can go to someone else’s house and see things with a fresh eye that they hadn’t seen.
Find a friend to trade “skills or talents” with.  It’s fun and you get a lot out of it.
There are so many ways to barter.   If you have fresh eggs and your friend has fresh veggies, trade up.  If you can sew and your friend can paint, swap skills.  It really does come in handy.
Ok, let’s go get a cold glass of lemonade now and cool off.

Linking up over at Donna's tonight at Funky Junk Interiors
Print

26 comments:

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

Oh I would love that! I don't have all the "stuff" you have, so it would be harder...but I will still sooo love that. What a treat!

Angela said...

WOW Amy, I was having such a "cool" time enjoying all the beautiful areas of your home, I didn't even feel the heat. You have such a wonderful and talented friend. The staging is awesome. You are so blessed to have all the different areas to sit and enjoy the beautiful flowers and all the special decor that makes it so unique and special. I am hoping to take a mini vacation in a few weeks, wonder if she would be interested in coming over?(ha) Glad you got away and had a great time. No matter where we may roam, there is no place like home. And such a welcome you had. Hoping you and your family have a great Fourth of July.
Angela

NanaDiana said...

Hey Ames! I was thinking about you today and decided if you hadn't posted by tomorrow I was going to email you.

Your house looks amazing! AMAZING! She did a wonderful job! Is she looking for another friend? Tell her I'm a great cook and will feed her!

What a wonderful, loving, giving thing for a friend to do. The best kind of friend to have! xo Diana

Becky C said...

Girl, that is one sweet friend you have!! How awesome for you two to trade decorating for your birthdays!! She did a really great job! I love love love the metal wheel barrow thing on the porch. Your deck is gorgeous with all the farmhouse second-hand finds. She had really cute ideas. I bet you were thrilled to see that when you got home... You guys have a gorgeous area out there to work with.
Glad you had a fun vacation and you are home safe :)

Red Gate Farm said...

Happy Birthday Amy! What a wonderful gift from your friend...and I be she had a great time doing this for you. It would be fun to dig through other people's stuff and decorate. It all looks fabulous!

I LOVE your white metal "two seater"... something about those old metal lawn chairs. They're hard to find around here... I guess because of our short warm season people bought the less expensive stuff... or the folding stuff was easier to store!

~Chris

Mary said...

Can I come over for tea? :) Looks wonderful!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

So much to look at and admire! It's all beautiful.

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Wow! It looks amazing and yes you have some ok lots of great stuff!!! What a great gift!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

Wow! What a great space and yes you have some ok lots of wonderful stuff and a fantastic friend, what a great idea! All of it is just wonderful, would love to browse around for a couple of hours!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Happy Birthday Amy!!! I hope you had a wonderful day!
How fun to come home to your garden all fluffed and lovely! Such a great idea to swap with a friend!

Regina from The Queenly Abode said...

Happy birthday Amy! How blessed you are to have such a kind friend!
have a great 4th,
Regina

Sue said...

Yes, I'd say you DO have a lot of things to work with for this patio makeover, Amy! Your friend did a nice job of tying it all together. It looks very cozy and perfectly set for an outdoor gathering! When's the party? Happy B-day!
~ Sue

Gypsy Heart said...

What a truly awesome, heartfelt gift! She is a treasure.

Everything looks gorgeous!

Pat

Gypsy Heart said...

What a truly awesome, heartfelt gift! She is a treasure.

Everything looks gorgeous!

Pat

Mary Lou said...

What a great job!

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...

Happy birthday Amy. What a great gift.

Urban Farmgirl said...

Happy Birthday, Amy! Woohoo! I love a birthday! I say the same thing ever year on mine, I am just so happy to be alive! ;o)

Love everthing in your photos. It looks so homey and happy! Hope etsy is going well for you! I am hoping to get back to listing this week! Its been such a busy summer! I would like to sit and relax a bit in your backyard! Lol!

Mary

Corn in my Coffee-Pot said...

Amy! What a special treat from a special friend! and... Happy Belated Birthday~

still praying for you and yours, Pat

Barbara said...

Oh my that is so cool, thanks Amy for sharing with us, and Happy Birthday to, hope you had a very blessed day, lots of good wishes and hugs, Barbara

Ava said...

Wow, Your friend did a great job, I think I need to fly her to Australia xx Ava

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

Happy, happy birthday to you Amy!! Well....you are certainly Blessed to have such a nice friend - and we LOVE the idea of swapping decorating - you are so right...sometimes, you are around it so much, you miss little things :) What a great place to hang out and enjoy one another's company!!
We're doing well - keeping busy :) but that is good stuff!!
Enjoy your week!
Karla & Karrie

mississippi artist said...

This is all too cute for words! Your friend did a wonderful job. Now be sure and share photos of what you do to her house! I am now following.

Okie Chic said...

So cute and what a great friend!

Rebecca said...

What a great friend-and how fun!!! You've got some wonderful pieces. I love an unusual item placed every now and then!

Jenni said...

Happy Birthday to you, Amy! I hope it was a wonderful one for you! :) And I love LOVE love your deck and yard! Your friend did such a beautiful job on it all, and I love all of your furniture and decor! :) And I completely agree on this whole idea of trading skills or talents! {My friend next door and I swap gardening for cleaning and it is such a blessing! She makes my yard look so nice, and I love cleaning, so it's a win-win situation!}

Again, Happy Birthday! And thank you for showing us your outdoor areas! :) One of my favorite parts of your porch is your little framed chalkboard! It is so sweet! :)

Blessings,
Jenni

oldthings said...

All things are so beautiful!!