Friday, February 4, 2011

Minus Wallpaper…Plus Neutrals

I so wanted to participate in Jennifer's Style Evolution Party this week because my style has changed tremendously over the last couple of years.

I was sharing with my friend  Becky at Buckets of Burlap the other day that I think I have really just discovered what my style truly is. 

I have spent the most part of my married life trying to decorate my home with other people’s personalities in mind…not mine.  Does that make any sense at all?

Most everything I had was dark, heavy, and probably bought at Kirkland’s.  I’ve told you before that I have absolutely nothing against Kirkland’s, it just really didn’t represent who I was and what I wanted my home to say.

I also read something the recently that said you shouldn’t hang anything on your wall that didn’t mean something to you or have some special significance.  That one comment has really stuck with me.

When my “style” began becoming more clear to me a couple of years ago, the first thing I had to do was take down loads of wallpaper that had been hung in our home ten years ago.

I want to show you today just a few photos of one of the first rooms that got really changed in our home.  I would love to show you few more photos of the room, but right now it is covered in some awesome vintage goodies that are being prepared for a new adventure I am going on. 

***

This is my dining room a little over a year ago…

DR Before

dr before 2

After the wallpaper came down, it looked oh so much better…

Like breathe easier better…

 

buffet

server

cabinet

I would love to eventually show you every room that has been transformed.  I think that would actually be every room in my house except for my husband’s study.  The decor has changed in there but the paint color has remained the same.  It began as a deep Brafferton Blue which looks blue/black sometimes and blue/gray other times.  That color is still great for us!

***

I would love to say to you that you need to make your home who you are.  Pick things that are special to you and make you happy. 

***

I am learning to simplify.

I am learning to scale down.

  I am learning that I don’t have to have everything out that I own just because I have it.  There are a lot of things up in my attic that I love that will take a spot in my home at the right time but right now may not be the right time. 

I have a lot to learn, but I am learning.

***

Remember to be true to yourself in all that you do, even when decorating your home. 

 

I am heading over to Jennifer's now. 

Print

19 comments:

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

I love your style! That one picture that you have with the ceiling tin and the ladder in the corner makes me drooling, just LOVE it!!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love the changes. It looks so fresh and inviting. Isn't it funny how our tastes change. Hugs, Marty

Becky C said...

Oh you are too sweet Amy :) And I LOVED our conversation about finding our style. What a journey is has been. I really love seeing your before shots- it truly shows how you've found your niche. Wow, it looks so great and refreshing now. Yeah, I like Kirklands, too, but not for decorating my home. Well, I can't wait to hear more about that adventure you are taking, I know it will be wonderful :)
We are snowed in here, can you believe??
Hope yall are warm and cozy.
Talk to you soon my friend ;)
Becky C

Gypsy Heart said...

Amy, I so admire you for this! I feel the same way. It doesn't matter to me what designers or magazines, etc., dictate...I have to be true to me! Kirkland's is fine for some things but I can't do a house in it...and all of it begins to look the same I think.

Your 'after' photos are wonderful! Looks so light and airy...thanks for sharing.

Pat

Grammy Goodwill said...

The changes look great.

Mandy @ Creekside Creations said...

I just found your blog and boy, I can identify with you! I'm trying to find my style right now. I want to love everything that I have in my home!

I think my style is similar to yours from what I see. (nice to "meet" another homeschooler!)

michelle said...

What a great post Amy! I can so relate! It is so easy to get caught up in others decorating style, and it is ok sometimes, they are all wonderful, (hence my painting and repainting :) ) but I agree with you, stay true to you. Your home is gorgeous and I am so glad that you can define your style and that you have learned to be you, and you are wonderful my friend. :)

Margitta said...

HI! I just gave you the Stylish Blogger award come on over and see....

Mary Lou said...

Oh, it's so true. I bought some things from that store jus to fill a space and don't love them because that's all they were.
I'm so glad you took down the wall paper! Just saying!

Diane Costanza said...

I love the change! The room went from heavy to light and airy and so much more approachable! Beautiful job. Can't wait to see more.

Diane

NanaDiana said...

Wow! Haven't we all been to Wallpaper Heaven (which eventually became Wallpape Hell-0) I let someone else dictate my decorating style for years-but we won't talk about that here.....Anyway, now it is just for me..well, and for my family, of course.

I love all that you have done and I can't wait to see the rest of your transformations in the upcoming year. Hugs-Diana

A Vintage Vine said...

Looks so calm and inviting....Thanks for sharing!

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

Wow, I never saw the before pictures of your dining room. Quite a transformation. Nothing against wallpaper because I think it's pretty, also. Funny how our tastes change. We both share a love of the old ceiling tin tiles. I love the color you chose and all the simplifying really paid off. You really created a beautiful space! Have a nice weekend, my friend! Michelle

Jennifer Rizzo said...

It looks wonderful! It's so funny how our styles change and evolve. I am so glad you could share it with us!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love your transformation! It makes such a huge difference to just simplify things. So much calmer I think. You have learned well my friend!

Debbie said...

I think you have such a wonderful style. I love to use treasures in my home, but they never EVER look quite right the way that yours do. I have self-diagnosed and think that I picture all of my treasures in that old farm house in my mind and heart, and therefore they don't look right to me here in this house.

I am trying to learn to embrace the home that God gave me.

Oh well...
I only know that I'm trying to figure myself out, and apparently I'm a complicated design chick.

I do know one thing: In the eighties, I was all about the wallpaper. Now? Wallpaper, schmallpaper, make it all fallpaper...

A Cottage Muse said...

I love the new look! I have recently discovered my style...use what I like and it will all work together. It is amazing to me to realize that the pieces that are the core of my style are treasures that I have always had around me. I realized shabby doesn't mean pinks and roses but comfortable. Oh and I also learned that less is more!!

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...

Wow. That was just a year ago? You have come a long way! I LOVE your new style!

Secondhandrose said...

It's like you turned on a light in that dining room! I am relieved to see that I am not the only one with changing taste. Someone please tell my hubby I'm not crazy! LOL
Come for a visit .
Make it a great week.
karen