Thursday, January 27, 2011

What I Love (Have) To Sleep With

I am one of those girls who loves a good night’s sleep and is kind of grouchy when I don’t get it.  I just feel better when I am well rested.

I am also a girl who spoils herself a little at bedtime.  I have certain things that I just have to have when I go to sleep.

The first thing that is an absolute must is this…

pillows

My satin pillowcases are a must and have been my whole life.  I literally don’t think I have ever slept on anything else but satin.  I take my pillow with me wherever I go and if I couldn’t take my pillow, I would take my pillowcase. 

Does that sound spoiled?  It’s just what I have gotten used to throughout my life. 

When I was a wee little girl, my granny made me my first satin pillowcase.  It was the first of many.

They made me feel like a princess.

I have heard for years that sleeping on satin was better for the health of your hair and now I hear that it is supposed to help alleviate wrinkles.  I can attest to the hair part as it has always been strong and healthy.  At 42, I really don’t have many wrinkles but that might just be because it’s not time yet.  I will let you know as I get older if the wrinkles are at a minimum.

Now that my granny has gone to be with the Lord, my mom has taken over the satin pillowcase making  job and she has taken it over beautifully.  She picks the softest, silkiest satin. 

My next sleep must have is this…

sleep mask

No, it is not a fuzzy animal even though it sort of looks like one.

It is my sleep mask and yes, I sleep with it every single night.

My husband bought me my first one about three years ago and I haven’t slept without one since.  I LOVE that it keeps the morning light from waking me up so abruptly.  I also love that it keeps the room dark if my husband is working on his laptop in our bed.

Can you tell by now that I am a creature of habit?

The next thing is something that my oldest daughter got me for Christmas.

It isn’t really a must have, but oh my, it makes me feel spoiled, special and princessy when I use it.

sleep mist

I spray this on my pillow every night before I lay my head down.  I also try to get a few sprays on my husband’s pillow just in case my head goes over his way.    Bless his heart, he doesn’t complain.

This stuff, my friends, smells wonderful.  Of course, I love lavender anything.

You really need to go to Bath and Bodyworks and get you some of this stuff.  Trust me.

The other sleep necessity is something I am not going to show you because there is nothing pretty at all about it.

It’s my big white box fan that sits right beside my bed.

I can’t leave out the who that I love to sleep with at night.  My hubby…

Do you have certain sleep must haves?  If so, I would love for you to tell me about them because I might just want to add them to my list.

Print

26 comments:

Restoration House said...

Amy I can only imagine what you look like with that big furry thing on your face! Forgive me for laughing but I can only imagine your hubby waking up and seeing a face full of...fur! lol
Anyway, I too sleep with a big box fan for white noise hard to sleep without it.
Kim:)

White and Rust said...

The satin does look delightful! And the lavender spray, wow, you do spoil yourself at bed time!!! That's great

Blondie's Journal said...

I had satin pillowcases one time and I felt like I was sliding all over! They were very soft and comfy though! I, too, have heard they help reduce wrinkles. Good for you! The only thing I need is a glass of water on my nightstand. I don't like to get up and freeze on my way to the kitchen for a drink!

XO,
Jane

julie - eab designs said...

Wouldn't want to be without my down pillows and comforter! Also, somewhat embarrassed to admit, but I must have four pillows of my own...two for my knees (good for my back) one for my head and one to hold on to. When we travel, the first thing we do when we check into the hotel room is ask for more pillows!

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I have to have a fan running. I don't care how cold it might be. And my Bentley boy. Oh, my husband of course!!

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...

I have that lavendar spray and I agree - it's FABULOUS! Especially since I sleep with a stinky turkey farmer. (Yeah, he showers, but sometimes he's still stinky.)

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I need to watch TV. Even if its only for 5 minutes. I can't go to sleep unless its on.

Jayme, The Coop Keeper said...

I'm a flannel pillow kinda gal...my hair's a wreck and I'm getting wrinkles! I love the pillow spray, and have never slept with a mask, cause I feel like I'd feel vulnerable for some reason - is that silly? Plus I NEED the light to wake up. Do you know the old country song 'Satin sheets to lie on, satin pillows to cry on.....'

sissie said...

Hi Amy,
I have to have my water beside of my bed no matter what. And, I also have a neckroll pillow that I can't sleep without. Also, my kitty baby at my feet, my Mr. Sissie, of course.

I don't think I could sleep with that big furry thing over my eyes! LOL!

Lisa said...

My friend needs a box fan too...me..I am a pretty basic sleeper, I need just a pillow and blanket...Thanks for sharing!

Debbie said...

I love all of these suggestions. I DO have the lavender here. In fact, I made some for the girls. (Wonder now if they are running low???)

If that satin pillow case really helps with wrinkles, I'd love to try it. But, don't you slip right off? I would. I'm a tosser and turner.

The box fan made me laugh.

NanaDiana said...

Well, whodathought you were a spoiled "Princess"...and MyHero sleeps with a sleep mask too. It's like waking up next to Zorro in the morning. We have a little ritual ..he needs a lot more sleep than I do ..I am a 5 hours (maybe 6 once in a while) kinda gal...he is an 8 hours plus kinda guy. So..he goes to bed first, reads his Bible, puts on his mask and goes to sleep. I come in about 2 hours later and turn the TV on very low and watch some kind of mindless program until I get drowsy and then shut it down....and I like a big soft, melty kind of pillow with a pillowcase that has been ironed with linen spray. Amazing little rituals we all have, isn't it? Hugs- Diana

Pine Tree Home said...

I just started to use the lavender and LOVE it!

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

A little pampering at bedtime makes for a much happier wife and mom, no? I love the Lavender mist, too. I've never heard of satin pillowcases helping with healthy hair and wrinkles. What am I sitting here for ... I need to find some satin pillowcases, haha!

Have a great night!
Michelle
xo

Tiffini said...

a box fan girl...it is a must!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants said...

You certainly take your sleep seriously! Funny post!

Patty H. said...

I must have a pillow to go between my knees! I've slept this way for over 2 yrs now. It helps eleviate the pressure in my lower back-keeps your spine more in alignment. If I sleep on my back, then it's under my knees.
I like to read in bed, relaxes me til I can fall asleep. I pull the covers up over my head til only my eyes and nose are showing.
Blessings
Patty H.

Grammy Goodwill said...

That mask looks scary - sorry. Whatever works for you, though. :) I agree about the fan. We're going out of town, and I told hubby to remember to pack the fan. He's such a HOT man.

Tricia - A Rosy Note said...

I have heard that satin pillowcases are good for your hair and face...maybe that's what I need. I always have to have the furnace fan on, I can't sleep if it is too quiet :)

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Every girl deserves to spoiled in some way now and then (or every night ;-)), Amy. Reading this post makes me want to go curl up in bed again... hehe. :D
Happy weekend to you!
~ Jo

Barbara said...

giggles that is just too funny, I like the pillow case but the rest would put me off, thanks for the smile, Barbara

Red Gate Farm said...

This brings back memories for me... when I was in elementary school my grandmother gave me a white satin pillowcase that zipped up. I used it until it feel apart, I LOVED how satin felt... I never thought of making one to replace it. I just may have to now :)

~Chris

The Copper Nest said...

Amy I adore my sleep time as well. I have to have freshly smelling sheets as well as I alwaystake a HOT shower and lotion up with my Bath and Body lotions so I feel fresh and sleep better. LOTS of blankets and pillows, yes me too I have to have a pillow between my knees and behind my back for support. Alson my hubby is a "fan man" so that is a must! One more silly thing that I have passed on to my hubby and have been doing for years...Carmex for those who like us sleep with our mouths wide open and night but dont want chapped lips ;)

Kolein said...

Fun post Amy!

I am going to, one day, get me some satin pillow cases. I keep meaning to buy them and then never do!!!!! Ugh! A mom's life, right?

I sleep in a king sized bed, with fluffy blankets and pillows all over me. My husband thinks I'm crazy! Even tho, I do get an occasional night sweat - due to hormonal stuff - I wouldn't sleep any other way. I love the comfort surrounding me. And I NEED my sleep...otherwise....yeah, grumpy! That's a good way to put it! I get grumpy!!!

xo
~Kolein

Ginger said...

I love clean sheets dried outside--which I can have 3 seasons out of the year! I want a shower, warm socks, and a good book year round.
The lavender mist sounds wonderful!

Here On Crow Creek said...

Hey Amy! I have to sleep on my bean pillow my hubby bought me from Brookstone. I used to get really bad headaches but ever sence he bought me this pillow I dont have then any more so my pillow is a MUST. Then I have this long round pillow my mom made me for when I have back pain. I use it to hold. I cant go to sleep unless I am holding on to something. So I either fall asleep holding my pillow or nikki my shih tzu and she is a tiny little thing but boy can she snore. lol