Sunday, December 19, 2010

It’s the Little Things

To me, often times, it’s the little things that make so much difference in making something look better.

You know how you can add that right piece of jewelry or accessory to your outfit and it just gives it that WOW factor!

Well, that’s what I like to do when decorating our home.  I like to add those little things that just make it pop or make it more personal. 

I love the extra touches.

Most of these things I have out all year long, but a few I will show you are for Christmas.

candles with words

I love adding words to things.  I tied my tea stained words around these candles with  jute.

crown

Simple paper craft but worthy word for my King!

candles

I added these little snowflake stickers to my candles just for Christmas. 

deer

I stamped the word Rejoice onto a piece of burlap  and hung it around my reindeer’s neck.

lantern

Just a little greenery tied to the lantern spruces it up for the holidays.

watch

I added this pocket watch ornament and burlap garland to this tray for a little extra umph.

matches

Isn’t this the cutest?  Love the matches tied up with the candle.

pray

I love that this little angel is bowing down before the “Gift”.  I actually didn’t plan it this way, but think it looks really cool.

star ornament

I had to show you this star ornament because a sweet homeschool friend of mine made it for me.  It sits in a little cup that my husband made when he was a young boy.

twine candle

A simple wrap of jute along with a shiny crystal dress these candle holders up nicely.

 trophy

Oh, how I love this basket filled with books.  The little tiara just tops it all off nicely, along with the K ornament.

banister

I added this collection of old family photos to my banister along with my burlap stockings.

banister 2

Notice the word heritage.  Several of these family members have passed away, so this is a nice tribute to them this Christmas season.

See what I mean about the little things making a big difference sometimes.

Do you agree that  little additions can bring lots of interest and beauty?

Hooking up over with Cindy at Make It 4 Monday.

Print

15 comments:

Restoration House said...

Hi Amy. Love all your little extra touches here. Especially love the banister decorations and your ode to heritage. Very nice!
Kim:)

Polly @ Make Mine Beautiful said...

Hi there Amy! Looks like you are having a fun time decorating the house for Christmas. I love all of the little things you've done to jazz up you everyday decor. I especially like the photos on the burlap hanging from the staircase.

But, the thing I like most of all.........is The Gaither Band singing Mary Did You Know when I popped onto your blog. Seems like we have the same taste in Southern Gospel music. People who aren't from the south just don't get it, do they? It's truly bred into us in our upbringing.
I normally have my volume on mute when I go blogging cuz sometimes it can scare me right off my seat when it starts blasting, but tonight I forgot to mute it, and I'm glad I did. You've got great taste!

Have you heard David Phelps (was with TGB but now on hiw own) sing O Holy Night? If not, you really need to hear it! Hop over to my blog and click the link for it on the right sidebar. Instant blessing, I promise!

Have a wonderful holiday season and a truly great Christmas.

Tricia - A Rosy Note said...

You are so right Amy! It is just like that saying "God is in the details." I love your burlap stockings and your old family photos :)

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I've just been looking over your last few posts Amy. Everything looks beautiful. So welcoming too. I love the words added to the candles. You can keep those up all year too...they'd work anytime, but look especially pretty for the holidays.
Have a wonderful Christmas my friend!
Blessings,
Marcia

Becky C said...

Amy, I love all the words you've added to everything. It makes it so personal. The reindeer is wonderful, as is all your decorations. It looks beautiful over there. Have a wonderful Christmas week, my friend.
Blessings
Becky C

Val said...

Every detail is gorgeous.

Southern Fried Gal said...

Cute, cute, cute! The words are perfect. Especially on this hectic week I need reminders to bear fruit and remember the reason we celebrate. Have a blessed week!

michelle said...

Oh Amy your little touches are just beautiful! I love the words and they have such meaning! Your home is just lovely and filled with so much love!

Blessings to you and yours my friend!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Love the B&W photos on the burlap.

Congrats on being featured over at Perfectly Imperfect.

DANA said...

Hello! I found you at Cottage Instincts and I am loving your blog! I wanted to invite you to enter my $50 American Express giveaway and my link party that are both going on this week! Keep up the great blogging and happy holidays! -Dana

http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/12/50-american-express-giveaway-ends.htm

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...

I'm not sure where to start. Burlap would be a good beginning. Love the "Rejoice" deer, stockings and heritage family photos. I add words to everything, too. They are gentle reminders ;D Your home looks beautiful and warm!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Blessings,
Michelle

raggygirlvintage said...

I love your attention to the small details Amy, I'm just going on a little walkabout round my house to see where I can add some words!
Tracey

cindy @ cottage instincts said...

YOu do such a great job mixing the rustic with a bit of bling. I totally agree, it's often the small touches here and there that make the greatest statements of style.

I'm getting on the word bandwagon this coming year!

saltbox treasures said...

Love the way you added a little Christmas to many things!
~ Julie

Chateau Chic Boutique said...

Hi Amy! I haven't had a chance until now to browse everyone's CHRISTmas decor. You were one of my first and I just LOVE it all. I love all the muted, natural colors you use. My favorite part is how Jesus and family is expressed throughout. I noticed the square plaque that spells PRAY. Did you make that? It's so funny because I just downloaded that font last night and was thinking of things I could do with it. I really love what you have. I may have to try to make one for myself!
I'll enjoy browsing your posts in the meantime.
Have a New Year full of blessings and family,
Missy