Monday, August 16, 2010

Old Recipes

I found a treasure trove of old recipes today that belonged to my grandmother.  I  knew I had them, but they were tucked way back in a cabinet and I had sort of forgotten about them. 

I haven't had a chance to look through them all, but I can tell you it is full of every recipe you can imagine.   So many of them are in my nanny's handwriting, which makes them all the more special. 

Take a quick look...



This box is full of her recipes.  I can't wait to look at them closer.

Can you see the recipe at the top of this next photo?



It says "To Herman" (that's my grandfather) and the recipe is for Better Than Sex Cake.

Nanny...I am shocked...but pleasantly so. 

Isn't that fun!!

Another jewel I have from her is this children's cookbook...It is obviously old.



I framed it because of the note that she wrote at the top...



"To Amy when she wants to cook"

Can I just tell you how much I love this?

My nanny has been gone a lot of years, but my memories of her never will.  She was a wonderful lady who loved her family.  One of the ways she showed her love was through the  meals she prepared and the desserts she fixed.  With these recipes, I can carry on some of her special traditions.  


Print

14 comments:

Mary said...

what a treasure!!! LOVE it...and you!!!

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

What a TREASURE! My Nanny loves to cook too! I hope you do something special with those recipes!

cityfarmer said...

I love gazing at my recipes written in my mom's handwriting ....

sweetness here!

Denise said...

What a wonderful treasure! I love old recipes and cookbooks. You are so blessed to have them. My mom has tons, too. She has many framed and hung in her kitchen. (food ones and some like soap making etc) I guess my sisters and I will have to share these one day. Great post.

Debbie said...

I giggled at the better than sex cake. That is so funny! My mom framed a bunch of recipes and hung them in her kitchen. It looks great in there. You should do that if you haven't already.

She even has a recipe for "syrup for whooping cough". Isn't that grand?

There is just something about seeing those old recipes in long hand that makes them a true treasure IMO.

BTW, I reponded via email about the email. I hope you get it.

Susie from Bienvenue said...

How special!!! Love the cake one too...made me laugh!

Barbara said...

Giggles that is good, I have that recipe too, smiled at your reaction too, I have so many old recipe books some dated back into the early 1900 so good love that antique stuff, hugs and blessings to you, Barbara

Burlap Luxe said...

I agree with Susie,
Yes indeed it is a treasure to behold. I have one of my grandmothers favorite, it is a Fudge recipes, now I follow the directions to the "Tee" and it is still not the same. I guess thats the way its meant to be, this way it becomes my own!

I like to make fudge in a gift basket and then make up a copy of the recipe card to then attach it to the gifted fudge. This way the recipe is passed on.

I love these kind of postings they tug at my heart!
see you soon girl keep inspiring us.
xx
Dore

Leigh said...

Look at all those old recipes! What a wonderful treasure. Thanks for finding my blog and leaving such a nice comment!
--Leigh

Heidi@Mommy Tools said...

This is so sweet!

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy -

I had a question. I love what you did with the beads around the lamp shade. I would like to do the same since I haven't found a shade I like. But I had a question. How did you attach the beads to the shade?
Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Amy Kinser said...

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for stopping by. The beads were actually a beaded garland that I wrapped and glued as I went. Very easy and cheap. let me know if you have any more specific questions. God bless.

Kimberley's Front Porch Swing said...

What a wonderful little box. That's just the type of hand-me-downs I love.

Lou said...

Amy - Just read this blog. Awesome! The note your nanny wrote about you cooking made me cry. How special to have a keepsake like this and written for you!