Saturday, August 28, 2010

Loving Old Stuff Today...

What's so cool about blogging is that I have found soooo many people who love old stuff.  We see the beauty of what it was and what it still can be.

Let me confess though...I didn't always love old.  My mother tried for years to get me to appreciate the beauty and value of age and patina and of the memory that something holds.

Now that I am "older", I have truly learned to appreciate exactly what she was always trying to teach me.

Better late than never, I now would rather have antiques, fancy junque, not so fancy junk, refurbished, aged, even broken pieces in my house than things that are from a department store.  Really, I would.

So, today when I saw that Donna at Funky Junk Interiors was hosting and "Old" party, I knew I was in.  Even if I didn't have anything to post, I would still be looking at  what everyone else is showing. 

This is our party, friends, to look at beautiful, wonderful, unique "OLD STUFF".  I can't wait!  Make sure you go check it out also.

Let me share with you just a few of  my favorites.

This will be complete randomness in what I picked.



The old shoes belonged to my husband.  There were actually two sets of these since my husband is a twin.  I love the little scuff marks on them.  Sweeeet!!!

The pocket watch belonged to my husband's grandfather who worked on the railroad.  Because my husband was the first born of the twin boys, he got the watch. 

The little lock and key was my grandfather's.  It has a YF on it which was for Yearwood Farms.  He worked for Yearwood Farms for years.



This beauiful chair was my grandmother's and was given to me when she passed away.  I remember sitting in it growing up and thinking it was like a queen's chair.  I always thought it was so fancy.



These three random pieces were bought because I love the patina on them.  And look at all those great swirls.  I love swirls.  Have I told you that?  The copper wire I found in a box for like .50.  I love everything about it.

So, there you go.  These are just a few of my favorites.  I have like 9,999 more that I could show you. 

Have a great weekend and be sure to head over to Donna's.

Print

15 comments:

Ceekay- Thinkin of Home said...

I would love to see your other 9,999! I haven't posted on this, but I so should. I love, love old stuff...and that is what my hubs calls it...my stuff...10,000 personal friends!!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

I like that your items have such special meaning to you! Those are the best!!!

Debbie said...

I always love your old stuff, Amy! Hopefully, I'll get a pair of minutes to enjoy the others, too!

I couldn't possibly pick a favorite of your things, but that first picture with the shoes and watch and lock and key is so beautiful. I love them together.

Reinspire said...

Love the baby shoes and pocket watch! I love old things, too!
Lisa

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love that you have family pieces. I wish I had more of them myself. I just love that old door know. It is so pretty. Something that would fit in very well around here!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

You have some great old things and even some with great memories attached. Those are the best kind. Thanks for stopping by.

Secret Garden Cottage said...

I'm lovin' your OLD stuff, and your vignettes are sweet and simple... just the way I like'm!
Thanks so much for visiting and your sweet comment! I got my Jeanne d'Arc magazine from Lori of Round Barn Potting Co. Here's the link:

http://roundbarnpottingco.blogspot.com/

Happy weekend to you!
Hugs ~ Jo :)

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

Beautiful! I love those baby shoes, too. I was glad that when my oldest was little, we could still find some of those old-fashioned-looking ones for her to wear. Nothing cuter!

Joani said...

The chair is beautiful. Thanks for stopping by.

shannon i olson said...

I see you did post shoes, a watch and old books! great minds think alike right??? Thanks for visiting. I also love old doorknobs can hardly pass one up!

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...

I love all your great treasures! I love old too. ;) So great that you have your grandmother's chair and memories of it. That makes a house a home, in my opinion. Thanks for your visit and comment. :)

HOME ANTHROPOLOGIE said...

Thanks for the great comment over at FJI Amy. Love all of the great vignettes that you are showing... And I agree about buying, having, wanting the old stuff moreso than what the new big-box stores have to offer.

Have a great week!

HOME ANTHROPOLOGIE said...

Thanks fir the great comment! And I couldn't agree with you more in regards to new vs big-box-store new.

Love your great vignettes. Very inspiring.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

I know what you mean! I love old things, too. But I have to admit I'm much more drawn to family items like the shoes, watch and your grandmother's chair! So special and sentimental.

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...

I am loving all your old treasure! It is so great you have your grandmother's chair and all the memories it brings...I feel that is what makes a home. Thanks for your visit and nice comment. :)