Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Mini Mantle Makeover

I get bored often with things around my house and love to change things up.  Because I certainly don't have the money to buy things with every whim, I have learned to shop my house and change things around from one place to the other.

My mantle needed a little pick me up, so I went shopping. I didn't change a lot; just enough to give it a bit of a new feel.  Yep, it feels better...and it didn't cost me a dime.  My kind of makeover...FREE.


I know everything is so much the same color, but I love the look.



My little tiara that my Granny got me when I lost the Miss Dairy Princess Contest.  This little rhinestone beauty sits in a trophy won by my Papa, my grandfather. The engraving reads Senior Champion Jersey Show 1959, Lincoln County Fair.  So cool, isn't it? 



I showed you the flour scoop my mom got me for my birthday.  Such a fun way to hold a candle or some other neat thing.  The tall piece was an ashtray that I took the yukky ashtray part off of.  I love empty frames propped up.  They just fill in gaps and layer things so nicely.



 

Do you shop your house? 

You really ought to try moving things around from room to room.  It satisfies that need that we all get to redo something and make it prettier, and it's free.

Head over to Finding Fabulous for her Frugalicious Friday party and My Romantic Home.

Also linking up with Donna at Funky Junk Interiors.

By the way, did you notice my new header?  Once again, my son came through and fixed it up for me.  That ladder is in my dining room.  Yeah, it was free, also. (Side of the road free, as a matter of fact.)
Print

21 comments:

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

I too get bored quickly and make changes often. I love your mantle...it's a showcase!!


My Friday Blog - Monkey See, Monkey Do

Hope your weekend treats you well!!

Debbie said...

One of the first things I noticed about you when I started reading here was the way you switch things up around your home. I really like that, and it has inspired me to be willing to do the same. I have a very bad habit of resisting even minor changes. I'll change... then change back. How silly.

I love the look of your mantel. My favorite part is the tiara sitting on top of the old trophy. Very thematic and very cute!

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

I love your mantle. I certainly do shop my house. You will have to check out my buffet with a seashell theme. I gathered all my things from all over the house including shells I had in my bathroom. Thanks for sharing and you did a marvelous job.

Cabin and Cottage said...

The new header looks great! Re-arranging makes a world of difference--I have to change a lot too!Nice arrangement! Jacqueline

Becky C said...

Your mantle looks amazing! Yes, I shop my home, too! Love how you said it. And your new header is fab!
Blessings,
Becky C
Buckets of Burlap

Stacey said...

Hi Amy. :) Your mantle is beautiful. I love the muted colors and the mix of old and new. Yes I do shop my house. I do it partly because I love the things I have. It's just fun to move things around. Though I probably don't do it often enough. :)

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I shop my house all of the time. I have an old ladder like that out in my garage. It was the one my dad used when I was growing up. Hmm, you're giving me ideas :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

Glenda/MidSouth said...

That is the best kind of shopping, especially since it is to hot to go outside. :D Looks great!
Have a great weekend.

Barbara said...

Very nice, I love the antique look, hugs my friend, Barbara

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

I love shopping around the house! In fact, I have a closet that's filled with lots of clearance and sale items that are too good of deal to pass up. That way when I get bored with my decor, I can go see what's in my special stash! :)

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Very cool! It's so nice that you have your dad's trophy and you get to show it off, too.

Jill said...

You know I think my mantle is one of the hardest places to decorate-you did a great job! I have yet to place empty frames around my house but I love it when I see it elsewhere. Just need to get at it!

countrycharisma said...

Love it! I have mantle brain freezes. I'll want to change it, and just go blank for what to do. Love the frames and same color tones, and the scoop for a candle holder. I have one and just not thought of it! I did use the old frames idea in a guest room in an older post and it works well. thanks so much for sharing your ideas. blessings, carrell

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...

I like empty frames. Good idea to use on your mantel. Your new header is great.

julie said...

Love your new header and your mantel vignette as well. So many treasured items... adore the little crown and the story behind it as well.

Secret Garden Cottage said...

Your display looks great. You did a wonderful job of shopping your house. ;o)
I do the same thing... always moving stuff around to see if I can come up with something new... something better.
Have a wonderful weekend!
~ Jo :)

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Amy...

Well my friend, I'm not sure how exactly your mantel looked before it got its makeover but it looks fabulous now! I love that big clock and all of the accessories that you pulled together! What a GRAND look...I love it!!! Thank you for sharing your beautiful mantel with us today!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

Love how you used the flour sccop...too cute...and yes I did notice your blog banner...it looks great...love the mix of the rustic wood and fancy chandelier.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I love that your mantel is all in the same tones. Very calming and beautiful. The flour scoop/ candle holder is great! I need to shop my house more often.

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

Yes, I did notice your new header, I love it!

Your mantle re-do looks great, those are all my fave colors. :-)

Have a wonderful Sunday!
Hugs,
Anne

Janean said...

i DO shop at my own homes and repaint things with acrylic paint (for when i change my mind again)!

the tiara is sweet and the story precious!