Friday, May 7, 2010

I Love That I Can Ask You All Questions...

Okay, my friends, I am looking for a little advice. 

I am looking for some books to satisfy my vintage, shabby chic, natural home desires.  I would love to hear what some of your favorite picks are. 

Think about it this way...what book would you most like to sit down with in your big comfy chair with a cup of coffee or tea and waste away the day with?  I know most of us don't actually have the time to do that, but what if you did?  Tell me several that are your favorites and then I will do a little research.

You know how you just get in the mood for a good read with beautiful photos that make your heart pitter patter?  That is what kind of mood I am in.   I have gone to the library and found a few that I like, but unfortunately, our library is limited in their shabby chic department. 

I did find an older book called The Natural Home, Living the Simpler Life, that is wonderful.  It's sweet.  Do you know what I mean?  It's just a calming book with great pictures and wonderful bits of wisdom.  I sit dreamily, I tell you, dreamily, as I look over a book like this.  My heart yearns a little...actually a whole lot. 

Just listen to some of the words this author uses to wrap me up in her little world...Boughs of fragrant lilac in a watering can, the scent of grass after a rain, the smooth surface of a stone worn by the tide, gentle breezes, the light of day, nature's palette, timeworn textures, a welcoming seat, oh and there's so much more.  She actually had me in the preface when she talked about rescuing a kitchen table from an old barn.  She said it was the heart of her home.  Oh, to find an old farm table that I can make my own where my family can sit and continue to make memories.

Can you hear the yearning?  I certainly feel it. 

Sometime soon, I would like to share with you where I have come from, where I am now, and where I hope to be someday.  I feel as though I am on a journey of sorts.  This is a journey that I believe is from God and one I pray that I am faithful on.

God bless you today, my friends, and thanks for any advice on good reading for the warm days ahead.
Print

9 comments:

Kolein said...

I love this song. OK, I know it has nothing to do with your beautiful post, but I think you know me a bit. I get lost in music....at times!

I'll be back with some ideas....promise

Barbara said...

Great post here Amy, I think my favorite of all time is little women, for books, or Anne of Green Gables, now for magazines first popping into my mind is Reminiscing It is a great magazine and I totally enjoy them, Hope this has helped a little, have a great weekend, and God bless you real good.
Hugs Barbara

Mary Lou said...

Oh Amy, Have you see Life Beautiful magazine? You have to see it. IT's a Christian magazine with great articles but also decorating, crafts, etc. IT has absolutely beautiful photos. I have every issue. You can google it.

Prior said...

I have never seen this book, but I have been to her sale in a field by her house, which was great...http://carolynwestbrookhome.blogspot.com/2010/05/carolyn-westbrook-here-it-isthe-french.html I also enjoy browsing cookbooks, in which entertaining and decorating tips are included, especially if they give a little family history along with the recipe. I love blogs, but nothing is better than a good book or magazine for daydreaming and planning... Lezlee

Anne - Fiona and Twig said...

Hi Amy!

Have you read "The Well Dressed Home"? I think it's by Annette Tatum.

And you can't go wrong with Rachel Ashwell, of course.

Have a wonderful weekend,
Anne

Marilyn Holeman said...

Hi Amy, I have an armload of books I've gathered from yard sales, thrift stores, and such, so don't know their availability, but here are some, in no order:
"Garden Style, Decorating Ideas for Indoors and Out," Better Homes and Gardens, 1999;
"Welcome Home" (Creating Your Own Place of Beauty and Love) by Emilie Barnes, 1997;
"Everyday Comforts" (Decorating Ideas for Making Your Home a Haven) B.H.& G., 2002;
"Cottage Style" B.H.& G., 1998;
"Decorating Cottage Style" by Neva Scott, 2006 (checked out of my library); and
"Vintage Style" by Cath Kidston, 1999 (also from the library.)

Some wonderful books (without pictures, unfortunately) are the Stillmeadow books by Gladys Taber. I own "Stillmeadow Sampler" copyrighted 1950-1959. If you can find them in print, she describes finding a farmhouse in the countryside in New England which she falls in love with and buys, and her subsequent life there. Great descriptions, lovely books. My library no longer has these.

Happy hunting, and Happy Mother's Day!

Blessings, Marilyn

Penny Sue said...

Dear Amy, Loved your post... and blessings on your journey... beginning, middle, and possibly no end.. aren't we always on a journey? God never stops teaching us, loving us, and urging us to grow. I love my journey. I'm afraid I am a bit of a romantic country french/cottage style (I don't know if there is such a thing), but I'm a decorating book junkie. Best prices are usually at Lowe's and Home Depot, as well as Barnes and Noble with a membership card. I do try to choose well. But I find a lot of inspiration in my books... and cherish them. However, you should truly follow that yearning in your heart. Listen to it and figure out what means to you and what it will take for you to make your life and home that way... and then just do it. It will happen, and you will find yourself surrounded with the serenity you desire for your life and home. God bless, Penny Sue

Susie from Bienvenue said...

What a great question. I wish I had a great answer for you but I just dont have time to sink into a book. Oh how I wish I did...I try try and take time for bible studies..but after that it's paint and wash clothes..ha. I will keep an eye on your list beacause I would love to get some as well. Take care and have a great week ahead my friend~ xoxox Susie

handbags*n*pigtails said...

I just recently got a great book(full of photos, which is right up my alley) at teh thrift store. Id recommend checking out the book section of your local Goodwill. You can find some really great "coffee table type" books there as Im just now finding out.
Anyways, the book I got is "Good Things for Organizing" by Martha Stewart. Its a hardcover and I got it for $2.99 The same day I also found a book FULL of silhouettes. Its called 272 Silhouettes by Floyd Morris. Im seeing these in blogland everywhere so Im just waiting for the right project to inspire me.
Cant wait to hear what Gods been speaking to you:)
Sarah
HandbagsnPigtails.blogspot.com