Saturday, April 17, 2010

Once a Puzzle Always a Puzzle

I had another productive Saturday, but this one was mostly fun project kind of stuff instead of so much hard work kind of stuff like last week.  Whew...I needed a craft day.

I am excited about several things I accomplished today but am only going to take up enough of your time tonight to show you one.

This is what I found a few months ago at GW and knew that at some point it would click what I wanted to do with it and where it would go.

Today...it clicked.



If you can't tell, this is a huge, ginormous puzzle that someone I am sure spent hours putting together and then had mounted into a neat frame.

I can only imagine how long it took to put this thing together.  Puzzles are okay, but I just really don't have the patience to sit for that long.

I thought long and hard about this one and decided on a quick and fun way to spruce this baby up.

I took my Heirloom White spray paint, some family black and white photos and another little find from GW and this is what I came up with.



I decided I could just keep the puzzle pieces on and use it as a bulletin board type thing.  Instead of using tacks, however, I used poster putty to hang my photos.

I am really excited how this turned out.  I love new and different ways to display our family pictures.

Now she's all finished and hanging over my bed in my guestroom.



I would love to hear any thoughts you have on this project.  Please share some if you have a minute.



Print

14 comments:

Kolein said...

Amy, I love that you painted it! Oh my! As I was reading I was thinking that perhaps you had taken all the pieces apart to use the frame. Instead you honored the hard work someone put into it. It looks so great! The curvy lines of all the pieces look so neat in the frame!

Stephanie Lynn said...

Great idea - love the white! I can only imagine how cool the texture is and the outline of each piece! Looks fabulous!

Thanks for linking to The Sunday Showcase party! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Casual (dash) Cottage said...

I like this!

This is original. I've not seen this project before. I like the way it turned out and that it is clever!

The puzzle pieces stand out against the straight lines of the frame and photos...
I like that you have the old black and whites hung over the guest bed!

junkermidge said...

Oh, I love this! And I love doing jigsaw puzzles, though I haven't in years. Painting the puzzle white was the perfect solution. Not only does it provide a cool looking background for photos, it also sends the message that people in a family are individuals that all fit together in a bigger way (also that family members can be very "puzzling" sometimes). Great job.
Midge

Melanie said...

I love it!!! Such a great idea!

I have seen framed puzzles around but have never stopped to give it much thought as to what in the world to do with them. Now I know!;-))))

Thanks for the inspiration!

Have a great week!
Melanie

Katie said...

That's adorable! I never thought of using a puzzle as a bulletin board! Are the pieces thick enough for the tacks to hold?

Mary Lou said...

Truly amazing....Never would've thought of that but I know where a framed puzzle is and I think they will see me today!!
LOVE IT.

Terri Smith said...

Hi Amy..this is my first visit and I'm so pleased to have happened upon your site. This post was so interesting and inspiring. What a fabulous idea!

My name is Terri Smith, I'm a Visual Artist out of Bonaire, Ga. I've been blogging only since December, but truly have found such enjoyment meeting so many wonderful people. If you'd like to visit me sometime, here's my link: http://www.dimplesdragonflies.blogspot.com

You're welcomed to pop over anytime, my studio door is always opened.

Blessings, Joy and Sunday Sunshine, Terri

handbags*n*pigtails said...

LOVE this idea!Im also participating in the SNS link up this week...its my first time!
Feel free to check out my bench and stool makeovers!
Sarah
HandbagsnPigtails.blogspot.com

Ginger said...

Too fun! A great "out of the box" idea. Love the photos.

Alison said...

What a cute idea! I love that you repurposed this! The puzzle pieces add such a unique texture. Way to go!!

Alison
http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

judi said...

super idea and transformation! love the texture that the puzzle pieces make for the background. looks great over the bed...perfect for a guest room.
judi ;)
the1829farmhouse.blogspot.com

Debbie said...

This is really clever! I love the look of the puzzle pieces painted white. It keeps their integrity but makes it prettier and useful!

In my mind, the concept of family just goes with puzzle pieces. It fts together like a little craft essay. (No such term, I know, but you know what I mean...)

sissie said...

Hi Amy,
My but that creative mind of yours is working overtime. What a great idea. I would have never thought to do that in a million years!

I love how it turned out.

hugs
Sissie