Monday, April 19, 2010

Chicken Wire Brought Inside

I have seen several neat items lately that incorporated chicken wire into them, but unfortunately cannot remember where I saw them.  I did love that look, though, so I tried to come up with something for myself using chicken wire left over from our chicken coop.

I found this neat frame at a yardsale this past weekend.  I know the floral is probably very pretty, but it just didn't go in my house, so I needed to do something different with it.

I decided this would be a good time to try the wire.

So, with my frame, chicken wire, book covers bought at GW, scrapbooking glue and my staple gun, I went to work on my little project.



This is what she looked like before. 

This was all I needed to change the look completely...



I took the paper and just used scrapbook glue to paste it down. I wanted something that could easily be changed since I change things up so often.


I used my handy little staple gun that I got for Christmas to secure the chicken wire. 

By the way, chicken wire hurts if you are not very careful in how you handle it.



Here it is with the paper and the wire all in place...


Now what to put on here...

This is where I am going to lose some of you that are thinking this is pretty neat so far.

We found what we think is an old razor strap inside of a piece of furniture that belonged to my grandparents. And, because my daughter and I both really like the way it looks, we decided this was a great way to show it off.

So here is the razor strap showcased on the chicken wire...



And, here it is hanging in my dining room.



Did I lose you?

Maybe an odd place for such a thing as this, but I like it and Beth likes it, and well, I'm not sure if anyone else in the house really cares, so there you go...dining room it is.

Now, I'm thinkin about other places I can use chicken wire besides the chicken coop.   

I am linking up to a few parties tonight so come on over and visit with me...





Print

13 comments:

Jenna said...

Cute Idea! Love this!

Id also like to say I love your playlist,
very meaningful, makes me want to drop to my knees!

Thank you!

Jane said...

I think it's great you and your daughter love it...and that's all that matters! Totally thinkin' outside the design box...love that!

Thanks for stopping by last night!

Jane
Finding Fabulous

Debbie said...

Oh, you definitely didn't lose me. I love the razor strap idea. I definitely need to show this post to my mom. She would love it. She loves to showcase old things.

And I love the playlist too. I think I have yakked it before, but I love to start my morning with your blog.

Katie said...

I like it! You didn't lose me! I think it would be really neat if you would add an old photo of your grandparents, too!

Pine Tree Home said...

That frame is so unusual. Great idea to showcase an unusual item. You could always switch it up with fabric or pretty paper in the background when you decide you need a change.

Casual (dash) Cottage said...

Well, I have to say... it is unique.

Unique enough that I like it. I bet many a people will ask you about it. It will strike many a conversation...
or inquisitive looks.
It may strike terror into some...ha!
(...won't be no misbehavin' !)

Ginger said...

I like it. Anything with a history is a thing of beauty. I have a cornstick pan on my wall, so there you go. Love the frame.

Kolein said...

I love it Amy. Because it has a story. I'm crazy about the edges of the wooden frame. You think out of the box! I don't have that gene when it comes to creating. Nope not even a little drip of that gene!!

Btw, I wanted to let you know that one of my other blogger friends designed a new button for me. It's on my blog if you have a chance to take a look!

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries™ said...

This is just so clever! You could even use it near the front door to hang keys (a few little "S" hooks looped through the wires). Or even use it to hang lighter cooking utensils in the kitchen such as wooden spoons, whisks, spatulas and the like! Thanks so much for sharing.
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

sissie said...

I love the look of chicken wire but it is hard to work with. I've had a fight or two with it.
I love yours and to showcase that razor strap is very coooool! Go ahead and put a Sweeney Todd poster in there as well! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkk!!

Just kiddin.

Love it.

hugs
Sissie

Andrea - Faded Plains said...

You come up with the best ideas...what a great way to display things and be able to change it up whenever you want.

Becky@Beyond The Picket Fence said...

Great eye for the frame--love the shape and what a special way to hold a memory.

Heidi said...

Sentimental things are always the best! (Yes, you did lose me for a minute...And I had to reread the post again to figure out what you just did!)
I had an art teacher use chicken wire in a painting. He just painted his painting right over the wire, and it looked pretty cool.