Monday, March 15, 2010

Five Cans of Spray Paint Later...

Have you started touching up your wicker furniture for the season? 

My mom gave me a nice green wicker (I guess it's plastic actually, but looks like wicker) sofa for my front porch.  I loved it except that it was dark green and I wanted white. 

After a good cleaning, and a coat of white primer, I began my spray painting.  I figured since I had primed it, it would only take a couple of coats of spray paint.  I was wrong!  I used five cans of spray paint and finally gave up trying to get it completely covered.  It still has a hint of green showing through, but friends, I am tired of painting this little jewel.  I am just going to consider this bit of green as a great patina.  I may try painting it again later when it warms up, but for now, it will just look a little aged and that's just great with me.


Meet my pretty kitty...her name is Pood (rhymes with good)




Can you see the green still shining through?  Good grief, this was a painting job that never ended.

See my new pillow...


I had no idea you could buy burlap feed bags at Tractor Supply.  Did you?  And, it was only .97.  Another great thing is that it was already sewn together on one end so that just left one open end for me to sew.  Remember, I don't sew.

Speaking of sewing...I do have an old sewing machine that doesn't work.  I am sending it to the repair shop to see how much it will cost to fix it.  My goal is to learn how to sew.  I have always wanted to and you ladies have made that desire even stronger.  Also, I hate to keep asking my mom to make things for me.  I really want to learn how.  I will keep you posted on what happens.


I am hooking up with several parties tonight.  Join me over there...

Print

22 comments:

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Beautiful! And what a great tip on the feedbags!

Formerly-Corn in My Coffee Pot said...

NICE JOB!

I for one, happen to like a little patina.

Great tip for the feed sack from tractor supply.

I wonder how many items we could find there to make our homes more cozy?

Pine Tree Home said...

Wicker sure does suck up a LOT of paint. Same thing happened to me. Don't give up. I'm sure the last coat will make it look just like you wanted. The pillow is super cute too and I am totally with ya...hoping to get my groove on and sew.

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

bravo! well done, I love it ....

Amanda said...

I love your pillow! I spiffed up a wicker table for my porch, and today I saw that our dog has been chewing on it! =( That plastic wicker may be a very good thing!

Stephanie Lynn said...

I love the white! I know exactly what you mean by spraying wicker. I found out last year that it takes a lot of paint! Your pillows are gorgeous!

Debbie said...

I guess it would have been easier going from light to dark than the other way around. As for me, I love a little aged look so yours with the patina looks nice right now, especially against the earhtiness of the feed bag pillow. Great find on that burlap, by the way!

sissie said...

Hi Beth,
I found a brown wicker settee and decided to paint it pink.....well....after the sixth can of spray paint, I gave up too. I never could get it right. So, I ended up spraying it a dark brown and it finally ended up as a donation!
I am trying to think of the name of the spray paint I found at home depot that coats better, but I can't.
I love your burlap pillow. You did a good job.

hugs,
Sissie

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

What brand of spray paint did you use?? Be sure to use a name brand for the best coverage -- yes it is more but it will be worth it. Krylon or Rustoleum should do a pretty good job.
And you made my day with that feedsack tip!!

Katie said...

You can do! I just know the basics, and I can do almost anything I want. :)

Cathy M~ said...

Amy,loved your post! Didn't know that you could paint plastic wicker! It looks great:) I would like to learn to sew, too. Or I should say "again"~ the first time didn't work out so well! Nice that you already have a machine. Also, the pillow was very creative!!

Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama said...

Wow this looks great! I love the green showing too but if you really want it solid right try Rust-oleum Painters Touch Ultra Cover 2X (if you haven't already) It works great for those hard to cover projects. Might be what the poster above me was thinking of, they do have it at Home Depot!

Laura said...

I love the pillow. My husband just brought home a few feed bags from work and I was wondering what to do with them. Thanks for the great idea!!

Feel free to stop by my blog and enter my necklace giveaway!

Jennie said...

I love the white! It looks so fresh and clean.

Great Job!
Jennie @ Cinnaberry Suite

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

That wicker can be a bugger to paint! :) It looks great...and so does your pillow! You crafty girl!

Kim said...

I agree painting wicker can have its challenges! Darling pillow-yay burlap sack!

nostalgia*gal said...

Ah, you brought back memories of my wicker, tried the spray paint and ended up brush painting. Took forever.

Great trip on the feed sack!

Huge thank you for liking my bench that was made. Hope to see you again also!
Blessings! cindykay

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I tried painting a wicker chair a few years back, and I had the same experience. It takes lots of paint. I'm sure you'll be able to learn to sew. I'm teaching my daughter how. My old sewing machine didn't work too well, so about a year ago I bought a new one. It's so much easier than the old one (and much lighter weight). The place we bought it at, even had a class for my girls to learn how to use it and simple sewing instructions (for free). So if it cost's much to get it fix, you might just want to buy a new one.

Love your burlap pillow!
Blessings,
Marcia

Tori said...

Great job on the pillow! Even though you don't sew, it turned out really cute! :)
~Tori

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

Wow, I had no idea you could find burlap so cheap. Great tip!

Laurie at The Turner Farm said...

Great tip with the burlap. Yes, wicker can be tricky to paint, you did a great job. That pillow is adorable. On to read more of your posts, been so busy, finally have a day a home to catch up with everyone!

Dana said...

I think you did great and love the pillow! This is my first visit to your blog! A friend sent me here--my mom recently refinished her wicker and it took layers and layers, she was going for a gray, but it kept looking purple! She hand painted too--I will post her pics one day when I get my blog set up--myspendidhome.com--So excited to join you ladies in our endeavors together--Blessings, Dana